Neurology Expert Forum
Blackouts-convulsions-seizures and cavum septi pellucidi

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

In Sep 2003 experienced a blackout for the 1st time @ age 30. It lasted for 1-2 min. The same day experienced 2 more blackouts with jerking motions, the last one in front of docs who saw it as a grand mal. Age and absence of epi in family indicated problems like tumor. CT showed enlarged cavum septi pellucidi. EEG did not reveal any cause for concern. 3 sets of MRIs done between Sep 2003 and Feb 2004. Except for the said cavum 2,7 x 1,6 x 1,7 cm (roughly 1 inch x 2/3 x 2/3 of an inch) no tumor was found. The MRIs indicated mild compression of the interventricular foramens but without signs of hydrocephalus. Docs are convinced that this enlarged cavum is not causing the blackouts. Subsequent EEG findings were mildly dis-rhythmically changed with suspicious lateralization left front-temporally with only indicated paroxysmal tendency exclusively on the provocation methods. I was put on anticonvulsants (Lamotriginum + later Valproic acid). Since the therapy had 4 additional blackouts without jerking that lasted around 10 secs. During blackouts would turn pale as a sheet. If I would end up lying would come round more quickly than if I would remain sitting. Docs described these blackouts as abortive grand mals. They did not examine other possible causes such as vasovagal disorders etc. Could it be that all of this is caused by the cavum septi pellucidi also referred to as cyst on some findings? Could it be that this cavum/cyst has been growing for the past 30 years and is now causing problems? Much obliged.would tur
If the MRI finding is simply a cavum septum pellucidi then it should nor be causing your symptoms. However if it is a cyst which is intermittently coming under pressure, then this could cause headaches, and potentially black out spells.

Otherwise your story could be consistent with seizures or syncope (passing out). To evaluate this further I would recommend a prolonged EEG with several hours of sleep to evaluate for discharges which may suggest seizures. The other thing is a tilt test (possibly with EEG monitoring at the time) and a EKG to exclude cardiac disorders. This is a common consultation for us, and if you are in the area we have wonderful physicians who can assist you in our epilepsy section. Good luck.
sorry - that was right front-temporally.
Help me please! Im scared for my life! I was siting in my class at school when I felt sick and then I got a black out that lasted for about 1 min and I could hear crackling in my ears and the sound was gone just crackling. I then felt numb and I thought I was dead because it was all black and i couldn't hear or feel. I felt myself falling over and i jolted my head. Then my vision started to come back slowly and earing and i felt very cold. my eyes felt like ice. My Dad said I wasn't geting enough oxygen to the brain and I got to relaxed, so blood couldn't get up into my head.

To day is the next day and my head feels really strange. It feel like a burning sensation inside my head near the back and at the back high part of my neck is feeling weak and burning like I have been runing and the burning sensation of your muscles when you run. Please help me, Im geting very scared. Im scared I might die or something. I booked an apointment to see the docter tomorrow. But im scared it might be worse tomorrow something could happen.

Jeff