Neurology Community
Blindness and migraine?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Blindness and migraine?

My 13 year old daughter has had a chronic migraine for about three years, and in the past few months has been going blind in both eyes about once a day. She says that her vision usually flickers before and after losing it completely, and the total blindness never lasts for longer than a minute. Her neurologist says that this is normal for migraine, but I have searched the internet and not found anything describing total blindness in both eyes caused by migraine. Should we get a second opinion?
Avatar n tn
I get migraines that effect my eyesight.  I have had total blindness before also and it is silver flickering lights that cover my field of vision.  With myself the more vision I loose the worse the pain.  My blindness will last usually 1/2 hour.  I couldn't imagine go through it every day.  I take meds now that controll the migraines it is Atenolol something that may not be able to be taken by children.
My daughter is 21, has chronic migraines as well for the last or so years. She also experiences blindness that started lasting only a few minutes but now can last 36 hours or more per episode. Don't accept this as part for the course with migraines. Keep asking questions and searching for a cause. In just 6 months she has progressed to this point and for both my daughter and myself this is beyond scary. I hope your daughter doesn't get to this point and that you find answers quickly. If you do, please share because there are others who are also experiencing this problem without answers.