Neurology Expert Forum
Blood Flow/Spasmodic Dysphonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Blood Flow/Spasmodic Dysphonia

I have read about a BEAM and/or SPECT used on people with SD to detect abnormal blood flow in certain areas of the brain.  Any current research findings on this?  Thanks for the response to my first question, I really appreciate this forum and all the work you all do!
=
Spasmodic dysphonia is a specific example of a wider variety of syndromes labeled dystonia. Conventional MRI studies usually don't help identify the cause. PET and SPECT scans have been applied to study syndromes of dystonia which affect large regions of the body (for example, both limbs on one side of the body). That work is still in progress, and it is too early to say that anyone has worked out the mechanism for dystonia. I am unaware of any studies which have attempted to uncover mechanisms of dystonia in very small focal body distributions, such as spasmodic dysphonia (laryngeal dystonia).
I hope this helps. CCF MD mdf.