Neurology Expert Forum
Blurred vision, slurred speech, drooping eye

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Im 25 and I was diagnosed with Hashimotos disease when I was 12. I've had trouble with being tired my whole life but in the last six months it's all I can do to get out of bed and get dressed. I have this feeling that there is so much i want to get done and so much i need to do but my body just wont let me. I work full time and I'm a mom of 2. It's takes everything I have to do my daily mom duties. For the last 8 weeks I've been walking 3-4 miles 4 days a week hoping the exercise will give me some energy with no improvement. I've been eating healthy, fresh fruits and vegetables and low fat meat. I've had my thyroid levels tested and they are fine. In the last 6 weeks I've started having blurry vision and speech problems. Then about a week ago I had an episode of my eye drooping followed by a headache for 12 hrs. I had a ct of my brain done and everything was fine. And Im now scheduled for an MRI. I'm just wondering if this could be something resulting from having a thyroid disorder for so long or something else? Any suggestions will help... Thanks
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is an autoimmune disease which can cause hypothyroidism. Low energy can be a symptom of hypothyroidism but if your thyroid tests are normal this is unlikely. You should also have routine tests like complete blood count to rule out anemia, electrolytes, kidney and liver function tests, vitamin D.

Some of the symptoms you describe like speech problems, blurry vision (do you mean double vision?) and eye drooping are concerning for a neurological disease called myasthenia gravis

Myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune disease in which the body makes antibodies that attack a receptor located at the junction of the nerve and muscle. This causes impaired neural transmission leading to weakness of muscles. There are various forms of myasthenia gravis. These include ocular (affecting eyes predominantly), generalized (affecting the arms/legs/trunk predominantly), or mixed.  The typical symptoms of myasthenia are double vision, drooping eyelid, difficulty talking and swallowing, and weakness of the shoulders or hips. The weakness usually worsens as the day progresses. It is usually managed with immunsuppressants such as steroids or azathioprine. Other treatment options include IVIG or plasmapheresis. Medicines such as mestinon are used for symptomatic treatment.

Myasthenia gravis is seen more commonly in patients who have other autoimmune diseases. One of them is Hashimoto’s thyroiditis

First and foremost if you are having any sort of respiratory difficulties you should seek urgent evaluation. If not, then you should make an appointment with a neurologist. Even better would be a neurologist with training in neuromuscular disease.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.