Neurology Expert Forum
Blurred vision, tinnitus and severe headache at both temples.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm a guy who's 28 years old. This all started 18 months ago while trying to quit my antidepressants slowly, I became very suicidal and panicking, as a result I received an excruciating amount of head tension especially at the sides of my head. My vision became blurred and ringing started in my ears. Initially I thought this was all caused by PTSD. Later, the tension all radiated over my face, I thought that everything was caused by sinusitis. I've been to an ENT and he concluded negative. I tried several antibiotics but they didn't work. At some point the tension at my left temple was so horrific that you could actually see it. It was as hard as stone. I went to see a neurosurgeon who saw the tension and identified the spot as arteria temporalis, He wanted me to do an MRI. The MRI didn't show anything. I went to my physician who wanted me to do an EEG, this also did not show anything. I also went for an CT, but like the rest it did not show abnormalities. The only thing I noticed what helps a little are benzodiazepines. Even though is does not completely stop the blurred vision, it does stop my tinnitus. However, this is by far a cure. Sometimes I also feel a light pressure on my ears. First it was sometimes at my right ear, now I don't have this anymore but I do have it sometimes on my left ear. I truly believe this is all caused by my temple area on both sides. The pressure has definitely subsided some in the 18 months and my blurred vision and tinnitus have also become less, but they are all also still present. Does anybody have ideas on what's going on and how to get rid of the symtoms (symptoms)?

Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are several causes of headaches. Headaches can be divided into primary and secondary. Primary headache disorders are headaches without a direct cause. These are diagnosed after secondary causes have been excluded. Secondary headache disorders are due to an underlying problem, there are many many causes but some include medication side effects, systemic illness, nervous system infection, tumors, bleeds in the brain or clots in the veins of the brain, and others. A type of increased pressure around the brain (called pseudotumor cerebri or intracranial hypertension) causes a pressure-like headache with tinnitus and vision changes. The latter most commonly occurs in women who are overweight or taking certain medications, but could occur in anyone. Diagnosis is suggested by the presence of papilledema, or swelling of the optic nerve in the eye, as assesed by an eye doctor or a neurologist, and is confirmed through lumbar puncture.

An normal MRI of the brain excludes several of the secondary causes, but several causes require additional testing such as imaging of the veins or arteries of the brain, and/or lumbar puncture.

If a secondary headache disorder is excluded with appropriate testing, then a primary headache disorder is likely. Primary headache disorders are much more common than secondary ones. There are several primary headache disorders.  For example  migraines, which usually a pulsating throbbing one-sided pain with nausea and discomfort in bright lights that lasts several hours. Migraines can also be bilateral (both sides of the head) and in the temple region. Other headache types can cause headache pain that is a pressure centered around the temples. Which headache type this is again depends on the exact description. Primary headache disorders can be made worse by depression, medication withdrawal or initiation, and overuse of over-the-counter medications, even medications like tyelenol.

It sounds like you've been evaluated by an ENT and a neurosurgeon but if you have not yet been evaluated by a neurologist, this is recommended. Evaluation by a headache specialist (a neurologist specialized in headache medicine) may be of particular benefit.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.