Neurology Community
Body Jerks, But Awake

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Body Jerks, But Awake

My wife has (from what I've researched) hypnic jerks while falling asleep and while sleeping. We've been told this is normal. What isn't normal (in our opinion) is that she has these when she is awake. She might be reading, walking, writing, talking, or pretty much any activity. Some days she'll have quite of few of them and other days she won't. But she does seem to have more when she is tired or stressed. She's had an MRI and an EEG but the doctors told us they didn't see enything abnormal. I think they gave her Clenazopam (only if I remember right) but after awhile it stopped working. Has anyone else experienced this?
I am a 21 year old female, who is experiencing the same thing. Im not sure where it came from, but I was also told that the jerks are normal. It only happens when i am really tired or just dosing off, but it only happens when I close my eyes. Some days I'll jerk for a long time, mostly when I start to wake up, and then other days I won't jerk at all. It is very strange to me that this is normal, plus I have had this since I was 18. I do not have anxiety, and the only thing I can think of is me not getting enough sleep. I wish I could give you some advice on what to do, but I have no idea on what steps to take on anything. Another thing that is strange is when I tried to show my doctor my jerks, I could not jerk in front of her. It seems like if I tell myself not to jerk, keep my eyes open or if Im thinking about it, I won't jerk. I hope that there is some kind of treatment that could fix this.
Hello.

Such jerks are mostly stress induced. Can you identify stress factors in her life ? Reducing stress will help a lot. And does she get enough sleep ?

Regards
no this is NOT normal, thos is likely neuro lyme.
www.lymenet.org for more info.
I have had this, but it went away with antibiotic treatment (long term more than 1 year antibotics)
i have this muscle jerking as same i don't know why is it happening? so i am too searching for it . i am 16 and it's been more than a year that started happening. any part of my body's muscle jerk at any time.
OMG I thought I was the only spaz on the planet. I have had this disorder since I was a little boy. I ALWAYS jerk. It varies in frequency depending on how tense I am but on average it happens every 30 seconds. I find that I can control it a bit when I meditate or forcably calm down but I cant stop it. It is driving me nuts and is emberrassing. I am 45 now and want it to go away grrrr. I think that the only time I dont have these jerks is when I am deep asleep. Where does a guy go for help with this.
I had the same problem this morning. I woke up with the sensation that I was falling. It continued when I went into the bathroom. It happened for about ten min. I got up and called 911. My phone could not get service and I was laying on the floor in my dinning room. It was happening about once every other second. I thought I was going to die on my dinning room floor. I have never been so scared in my whole life. All I could think of was my wife, son and our baby on the way. I prayed to god that he wouldn't take me now. I thought for sure I was about to meet my maker and Die. Has anyone had an experiance this bad and how have they dealed with it. If so email me at ***@****
i have had these jerks for years i am a 37 year old woman. this upsets me because i can be at work an all the sudden i will throw my arm up in the air or slam the cp key board or just jerk my entire body.  i also am startled easy by noise or touch.  i can see u coming to touch me an i may jerk.  i jerk when im falling asleep the entire time till im asleep an may even do it while sleeping.  anyone heard of this? email me at
***@****
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Involuntary jerks of the body are termed as Myoclonus. Myoclonus is brief, involuntary twitching of a muscle or a group of muscles.The myoclonic twitches are usually caused by sudden muscle contractions. Contractions are called positive myoclonus. The most common time when people encounter them is while falling asleep (hypnic jerk). But myoclonic jerks may also occur while one is awake and are also a sign of a number of neurological disorders besides stress and anxiety. Mostly myoclonus is one of several signs in a wide variety of nervous system disorders such as Multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), SLE ( systemic lupus erythematosus) and some forms of epilepsy. It may also result from infection, head or spinal cord injury, stroke, brain tumors, kidney or liver failure, lipid storage disease, chemical or drug poisoning, as a side effect of certain drugs (e.g. tramadol and quinolones). It is also found in MERRF ( Myoclonic epilepsy and Red Ragged Fibres), a rare mitochondrial encephalomyopathy. Please consult a physician and neurologist to find out the cause. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!

I'm a 60 yr old woman diagnoised with myoclonic jerks 6 yrs. ago.  Neuo game me clonaspam 1 mg. at night before I go to bed.  This worked for 6 years as it only happend before I went to sleep.  Now, it has progressed into late afternoon jerks.  Sometimes they last for hours.  I have been under a lot of stress for 4 mths.  Then I took the stomach flu ended up in the hospital and they really got bad.  I'm ashamed to go out late at night because they come on with no warning.  I can't control them at all.  I have notice extreme fatigue lately and then if I lay down I go into a very deep sleep.  Does anybody else have these symptons?
Hi all.
Unfortunately like many of you I am here looking for answers and can not offer anything that may help you. since I was about 19 I have suffered from these sudden jerks mainly when I am in some form of winding down, about to fall asleep and even when I am asleep and rarely while awake. Often before I get into a deep sleep if I think about something like running my legs will shoot out as if I am about to run the 100m dash. My fist will shoot out in a jab with the slightest thought of it (I am an old amateur boxer). I wake my self up constantly due to my dreams (as in the movies). Is this stress which i know my symptoms increase when I am stressed? I also have bi polar and am on Epilim for the last 4 years. Any ideas before I head out to see my Doc?
Hi to all from another victim of hypnic jerks. I used to get these jerks during my childhood, while awake and sleeping but they went un-noticed since almost everyone has encountered these jerks and they take these jerks as part of life – perfectly normal.

But for me, recently, the frequency of these jerks has increased to almost daily. The jerks are so strong that they even wake me up from my sleep. I’ve consulted a neuro specialist who has advised me that this is normal and he didn’t notice anything abnormal during his investigation/diagnosis. But still I experience these jerks and the exact reason is unknown.

To me it seems the reason is lack of sleep. I’ve been doing very frequent night shifts for a year now and due to this I hardly get a sleep of 4-5 hrs a day.

I believe we can handle these jerks by getting a good sleep and going to bed early. I follow the same procedure of getting a good sleep and now the frequency of these jerks is almost zero. I get the jerks only if I stretch my day for more than 17 hrs.
Is there a connection between myoclosis jerks and carpol tunnel?  my neurologist said i had myoclosis but i know i've had a pinched nerve in both wrists for quite some time (CTS).  At first i thought the jerks were a result of my pinched nerves but i'm not really not sure.. any ideas?
I am female, 29, and have had this daytime myoclonus for about 5 years now. I not only have myoclonus but I have other sensations, such as buzzing in my head, white flashes of light, some noises, dizziness, etc. Went to the neurologist thinking they might be seizures but had the full MRI/sleep-deprived EEG done and everything appeared normal. Neurologist, after some more consideration, decided this was a sleep disorder related to the normal hypnic jerks most people experience while falling asleep. For those who know a bit of neuroanatomy, he said it was probably down to poor thalamic gating. We discussed treatment options and decided that the best approach was to improve sleep habits and also to seek treatment for a hormonal condition (PCOS) which I have, since hormones may be playing a role in this sleep disorder.

Just wondering if any other of the women on here have a condition like PCOS, insulin resistance, diabetes, etc.-- especially since so many people on here have reported these conditions coming on either during or post-puberty, possibly indicating a role hormones may be playing.
I had a spinal cord stimulator implanted in July of this year, and in the last month or so I've had what appear to be myoclonic jerks around 9:30-10 PM every night. This isn't bedtime for me -- I'm still up watching TV -- but it sure irritates my cat, who is plastered to the leg that gets the stimulation! I don't get awakened by any jerking, and my pain doc put me on potassium supplements [which have helped a bit, but not totally], but I'm wondering if the SCS could have anything to do with the jerking. Anyone?
Hey guys, I have these jerks at night while im still awake. I get this cramping in my lower back and then I jerk it can last for awhile or just a few min.  I have had alot of lower back pain and part of my leg going numb. I am a 27 yr old female.  I also am wondering if any of this could be due to the 13 scar's on my back from my 1st epidural 9 yrs ago.  He tried sveral times to get the right spot and I have a feeling that Im paying for it now.  I dont know how to approch this with my doc. because when you start talking about back pain every one seems to stop listening.  I am not a drug abuser so I dont know where to go from here.
It seems like I sound like you guys! I have been searching for answers about what is wrong with me and even posted on here today before finding this.  For me I can feel a sensation coming (sometimes) and then will all the sudden jerk my head/neck straight back and to the right so that my face goes left.  It never turns the other way.  It happens when I am tired, but any time of day.  It started in my mid teenage years and has progressively gotten worse.  I am now nearly 31. I have had done it so severly that I have banged my head into things and even pulled my muscles.  I am guessing sleep is the answer, but just want to know what it is.  When I asked my PCP he thought I was falling asleep, but when I have asked people to watch my eyes they say I am still awake.  I can be mid sentence when it happens and still talk through it so I am not falling asleep.  I can do it while sitting or standing.  Does this sound like any of you?  I have never encountered anyone else that does this and it is embarrassing.  I had to tell my students about it when I taught at a college so they wouldn't worry.  I can't really stop it even when I feel it coming.  Also I can have it induced when someone tickles just the right spot on the back of my neck sometimes.  Let me know what you think!  Thanks!
Well, we are all in the same boat!  I have suffered from what I call 'shocks' for years.  Mostly it effects my legs, which means that I am randomly trying to kick people and small animals (sometimes they deserve it - if you're going to have a weird affliction, get it to work for you) .  

I've read a couple of things tonight that have suggested stopping smoking, getting more sleep, and checking your B and D vitamin levels.  I've just given up smoking, (if someone could explain to my children) I will get more sleep, and I will explore the B vitamin thing, in particular it said B-12.  

This is preferable to the worst case scenarios that straight away came up in Google! :)
Yours in twitchiness!
I started experiencing violent jerks while falling asleep a few months ago, after I had been out to a pub. I had quite a bit to drink, was REALLY tired, but when I lay down, the right side of my body wents NUTS, twitching every 5 seconds or so. It took a LONG time to fall asleep.

I've had this problem every night since then. When I talked to Doc, he said it's normal. I don't see how it can be normal when it's something that wasn't like this before. I read a lot online to try to find out if it was lack of vitamins or minerals. I take a regular multi-vitamin, and eat really healthy. My B12 and D levels were tested not long ago because of other issues I had (tiredness, dizziness). The levels were normal.

But then I read about MAGNESIUM defiencency, studies on magnesium and it's role in the body. I read about it's interaction with calcium...In the end, I decided to go to the health store and ask about it. She said I could try magnesium. I talked with my doctor and he said it'd be fine. After about a week, my jerking got better. But it's the case now, that if I take the supplements, I'm fine. But if I don't take the pills, then I twitch. Though I don't understand WHY I'm lacking magnesium, I seem to need more of it then what I get in my food.  

I would HIGHLY recommend that you look into MAGNESIUM. Here's one website to get started:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/magnesium-000313.htm

I too am suffering with this problem.  I figured that a Dr. would not know what was causing it without doing 500tests.  From reading your situations, I feel a little bit better knowing I'm not psycho (unless all of you are too).  I hate it because mine is anytime, anyplace,any muscle.  Yes I also do not like the jerking but I hardly leave the house.  My hubby has cancer so I  have to take care of him.
I get these leg jerks along with dizziness after being seated.  when i stand and begin walking a few steps i can feel the dizziness coming on.  I have to get to something i can hold onto before the legs spasms come on.  I get to the point of almost blacking out, my left leg(always only my left) jerks or buckles in and out. the rest of my body.... i dont even know how to explain it..... kind of moves like doing the pelvic thrust from the time warp in rocky horror picture show.  so i guess the motion is similar to that of the leg but no synchcronization.
Hi I am  40yr old female , I have had this random jerk, twitch, jolt for as far back as I can remember. Both of my children a girl, and boy, and my younger sister have the same thing. It can happen when I am driving, reading, working, sitting or lying down. I have never had repeaters, just one really good jolt that makes my shoulders, arms and head move. I can not say it happens daily since I never tracked it. That might be a good idea. This affects me more when I am wake than when I am asleep. I can not attribute them to stress, or illness as I have had them for at least 30 years. It does not affect my every day life, but I do feel I look pretty strange when it happens in front of people. It just always seemed normal but weird.
My husband (age 48)  just said he wasn't feeling good. like his body was aching from flu onset. Anyways, he laid down and his body jerked like a flailing fish for 2 secs. Then did it again. He's sleeping now.  He wouldn't let me call 911. If it happens again, I will.  Should I be worried? He mostly healthy, but doesn't eat nutriciously in my opinion (enough vitamins etc..)   He is stressed, doesn't get enough sleep etc....

Worried Wife
I really can spell, just worried.  I meant "nutritiously".  =o
I am a 30 year old woman and for the past few months I've been going through some sort of hell. It started one day with twitching muscles all over (well mostly my arms and legs). These happened mostly at rest. It went on to tired muscles in my left leg but that went. I went to the Neurologist and had a normal MRI and normal EMG and my PCM looks at me like I'm nuts and gave me anxiety meds. I went dancing last night and this morning I can hardly walk. My leg muscles are so tired and achy. Has anyone experienced this?? I'm getting a little scared now. Oh and I also have the myoclonus movements while awake. I got them far more often at times of high stress and little to no sleep and they've calmed down but are still there. Can anyone tell me anything that might ease my fears a little?? Thanks
I started getting these jerks when I was 15 and since then, if I was ever sleep deprived, I would experience the jerks but not if I wasn't. I think my symptoms seem to indicate a case of Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. I know what they say about self-diagnosis but my condition has never been serious enough to wager any sort of treatment, I just need to make sure I get sufficient rest. Anyone interested can look up Janz Syndrome and see if that's what they think they might have and consult their doctors if they think it's necessary. Good luck everyone!
were you dizzy thats sounds like vertigo or having spasms?
MY daughters arm was twitching so bad we took her to er they said stress, well now they diag her w/ fibromyalgia she has terrible pain and her left arm just flails . she flails around like a fish out of water when shes sleeping this is the first i'm hearing about this twitching and how many suffer w/it omg .
I have these jerks every night as soon as I close my eyes but what is odd is that I also seem to feel as if someone is pushing on my back from under me as if it where under my mattress ??   This actually scares me cause I'm not even asleep yet and how could I be feeling as if I'm being pushed up on if I'm on a solid bed ??  I have been up all night because I'm actually scared not that it helps but from what I read I also have sleep pararalys with the body jerks
my name is daryl harris an yes i jerk all the time. it started 12 years ago.an i really dont no what it is or where it come from.can somebody please help me.
Thanks for giving some realistic possibilities..   I don't know how many times I either here it is stress related..  I had a rare disorder.. that caused a bunch of symptoms neurologicaly.. but because of a few doctors thinking it was a psychiatric problem.. caused me delay and more suffering then needed in treatment.
These jerks can be normal or abnormal depending on the degree, type and intensity. I am 29 male and have been getting jerks only when I get stressed at work or using a PC in a stressful environment. The kind of jerks that i have are actually psychogenic non-epileptic seizures, that are treatable by psychiatrist rather than a neurologist. Important thing is to have right treatment and wait for the results to happen.
It happens to me only when I am in a very competitive state of mind. The first time it happened was when i was playing cards with some friends and i was concentrating on the game and my strategy so hard that I suddenly jerked and all the cards fell out of my hands. It was embarrassing. It happens to me mostly when i am doing something where i have to really use my mind and think hard. Then i blank out for half a second and the jerk occurs. But hasn't happened that much recently. I just try to calm myself down and make myself conscious to not think too hard or get too stressed. I take a second to relax then carry on. It works most of the time!!
I have had the MJ for about 4-5 months now. I tried Klonopin, but which worked until I became allergic (I was allergic to Ativan already). Can't take Keppra, do to a serious side effect. I was told by the Kaiser Head Of Neurology for Northern CA, that these were the prefered drugs, but doesn't want to try me on other benzodiazines (like Valium) because of the potential for cross-allergy. I refused to take Dilantin and Depakote - both serious anti-seizure medications. Apparently I twitch alot at night at times (my husband has borne the brunt of them!), have had a normal EEG and Brain MRI. I can tolerate most of the twiches, but the ones that get to me (this during the day) are the ones where you are not supposed to feel the muscle is moving. I get bad ones in my abdomen, I think due to massive hernia repairs (I still have a large hernia, but it can't be seen and is coved by a mesh). I take magnesium and potassium supplements, but they still cont. My PCP thinks they are caused by a decrease in kidney function, and the neurologist says he thinks they are from nerve damage due to diabetes.
im having jerks since i got my scs, i found the more i stim, the worst the jerks, i to talked to the doctor he said nothing to worry about, but hes not the one losing control of his muscles while resting, your not alone. roxie, if your need to talk ***@****
you might want to get her tested for parkinson's disease, she seems to have the symptoms.
I'm sure you've all had those jerks of your legs when you are falling asleep and your muscles relax.  Four years ago I noticed my legs were jerking more and more.  There is a spot on my right leg, just above the bend of my knee that you can watch jerk.  Sometimes there isn't much jerking, but sometimes it's 24/7.  Some jerks are mild, and some jerks are so hard I could kick a person out of a chair.  When I'm tired it goes to both legs jerking.  Now my arms are starting to jerk and I have had a couple of times when my head would jerk for a few mins. like a seizure.  There is no pain at all with this.  My doctor said it was restless leg syndrome, but nothing more.  No medicine or a specialist.  Sad doctors don't give a flip unless it's them, huh?  This is very embarassing when I am in public like a restaurant.  I can't have a boyfriend stay the night.  Tried it and he didn't come back.  I am now over 60.  Why don't doctors care?  This has ruined my life.
Hi treetracker! I would highly recommend that you try magnesium supplements. Magnesium and calcium are building blocks of the nervous system and an imbalance will result in twitching. Magnesium relaxes muscles, whereas calcium contracts muscles. Too much calcium and too little magnesium could mean cutting out some dairy and eating dark greens. I have had exactly the same problem, where the general twitching of falling asleep became suddenly, during my vacation after an evening on the town, quite violent, making it difficult to sleep. And then it started happening when I was awake, especially in my hands. My doctor said the same thing," it's restless leg syndrome...it's common". And I asked, " But how do I get rid of it?" he didn't really have an answer. I did research online and read about magnesium. I started taking supplements and over a periodof a month, I could see how much it helped. I was even able to sleep better. A year has gone by and now I only take it if I've had alcohol or if I've been eating poorly (too busy to make dinner which would normally include kale or spinach or some other dark bitter green leaf). I hope this helps. Good luck!
I am a 47 year old female and I too am having these jerks & twitches while fully awake but mostly while lying in bed watching TV etc. I really just noticed they are worse when in the same position and they seem to radiate from my joints.
im 15 and I get real strange body shakes while about to go to sleep .. it actully just now happened I get a shake it starts in my spine and then my whole body shakes,Normally I'm alseep then I wake up,but this time I was awake and then my shakes started it just made me wanna close my eyes.i feel tired untill the shaking stops then I have a little bit of a shake in my arms like when ur hungry so I eat something small to stop my shakes if I don't eat it will happen again within 20mins also afterward my heart beats faster then normal ... Help me , my mom keeps saying its nothing . I don't think it's nothing tho
hi i have myoclonus somtimes when i am in my washroom is it normal??
Hi  am a man who as been suffering from depression and anxiety panic disorder and under a lot of stress. Have been having this problem going back to September 2011, I was 22 at the time I was I started to suffer with all the ongoing problems.  Sometimes I find it difficult to get to sleep at night as eyes shut or open I feel my eyes head face switch I feel scared because I think am going to die.   Wonder if I can have some information regarding this problem.
I m 20 n i.started noticing this 2 years ago. I have researched and diagnosed myself with mayoclonus. So not fun. I also suffer from a neuro dissorder idiopathic intercranial hyperactive hypertension pressure due to the over production of cerebral spinal fluid. Awesome right. No health insurance. My neuro is so expensive so i havent gone back in forever. I have jerks at any time. Notice them while at rest but it can happen whenever. Sweet a mild form of epilepsy. Arent we awesome -_____-
Hi Nelson,

I have been going through the same problem from the past 6 months. I have severe pain in my lower back that causes numbness in my leg/feet, i have been identified to be suffering from disc herniation in l4-l5 and l5-s1 levels. Even I get jerks while asleep.you can mail me at naman.***@**** to share more..
can be caused by lack of vitamin B 12, which causes pheripheral neuropathy.
I am 30 years old and have been dealing with this about half a year or so. It came out of the blue and is pretty bad. I am extremely fatigued and will doze off if I'm still for any length of time,  even at red lights.it only happens when I'm tired though it seems. But I jerk violently over and over a few minutes apart. Its worrying my husband and myself. It can't be normal.
I have the same thing!!!! I have tried to talk to my doctor about it but just as you all have said they say "it's normal". Sorry but I truly don't feel that this is normal at all. Mine started about 3 weeks ago & now I'm having sharp stabbing pain in the center of my chest and it hurts horribly when I take a deep breath, along with these black spots that seem to be crawling like bugs when looking out the corner of my eyes. I keep thinking I'm having a heart attack but everyone makes me think I'm crazy.  Along with my newly jerking body I now have one side of my sternum seems enlarged along with the whole side of my rib cage (only one side).  When I brought this up at my doctor visit he asked if I've had any hard blow to my chest which I have not. I'm a 31 year old female.  Please if anyone can shed any light to this please help, I really would be at ease. Thanks for listening.  Good luck to the rest of you as well!!!
im a 28 year old male who has had these twitches, as i call them, as far back as i can remember. sometimes i can feel them coming on and can stop them. when i do that it looks like im about to nod off, but am still wide awake. other times i dont feel them coming on and i get a sever twitch through my whole body which leaves me covered in goose bumps. it happens when its hot cold wet dry. i do not know the cause of them.sometimes they are so bad that if im standing the twitches cause my feet to leave the ground. Im worried that its a neurological problem. Can anyone help me figure out the cause of them and is there anything that i can do to get rid of them. Any tips or suggestions please email me at ***@****. thank you
The answer to our healing is Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I'll be praying for all of us in here. Many blessings. Good Night.
It could be the genetic disorder that my sister and I have called myoclonus dystonia. Here`s a wed site that might help explain things. http://www.omsusa.org/article4.pdf
And another one is:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1414/
Get a specialized genetic doctor to take a look
Hello, I am a 47 year old female that has body jerking while awake and I think I'm having them in my sleep, I had a EEG and cap scan, and was told that they having find anything, I was having these body jerk since Oct. I shakes, gets a headache, waste urine,and gets very sleepy after its over sometimes it makes me feel as if I'm going to pass out, my chest hurts because the jerks is be so hard and strong until my feet's rise up my head rises from my pillow, now i'm out of work because of these jerks and shakes, plus I makes  some type of noise with my mouth when I'm having these jerks as well.
Lots of sex and hot baths! Works clockwork
I have these jerks due to premature aging of my cerebellum.I was on Tegretol(carbomazapine)for 10 years,due to a torn nerve branch on my spinal cord.My neurologist prescribed Seroquel,which helps immensely as I can now sleep.Hope this helps.
Has anyone thought that maybe this is from a parasite infection?  I have had these since I was little mostly falling asleep but at other times too.  

I have just started reading a book by Dr. Hulda Clark called The Cure for All Diseases.  Really interesting!!  Check it out y'all!  

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMM
My body now restores itself to its natural state of vibrant good health!
OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM

I am a man over 50 and had these jerks since 13-14 years. Initially I had stiff necks and neck jerks then in late twenties it spread upto stiff back , then I had tiredness and breathing difficulties. in My 40's I developed whole body jerks.
I had painful spots on my arms and legs and when pressing these positions I felt some energy passes through my neck and neck start jerks. eventually when all the painful spots have been pressed I feel my lungs starts to breath deeply and the body or neck sweats then only  I fall asleep
If I do not release the energy from the blocked spots then next morning I feel tired. and if I continue for two three days without releasing blocked energy then I will have whole body muscle tightness and tiredness. I would feel relieved from these muscle tightness, only if I do some exercises.
recently I find severe difficulty to breath and went to do MRI, Angio, blood tests. but no problems. my health is excellent. Drs say this is some nerve problem and may lead MS. so I started researching MS symptoms. it is true.
I never had any medicines for these except magnesium powder, which helps to release muscle tensions and help me to sleep, but the pain and jerks still persist. the pain does not hurt me so I do not realise I have them. I feel the pain only when I touch certain muscles.
but I came across a yoga exercise for nerves and muscles and it helps immensely and I do not have the jerks after trying this one exercise.
I recommend those who have nerve and muscle problem do these.
the Yogi is nearly 100 years old and speaks in Tamil. just notice the link from 1.20 minutes to 11 mins. and continues on part 3 of the Youtube for first 4 minutes. Basically the first exercise is massaging the nerves off the feet of heart, eyes and ears, spine and all internal organs. the second is  opening the lungs and energising the organs by breathing is for 5 times each.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGgx5SpInY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyv-TQ6z32A
Thanks dear RajGoppal
Hi, my daughter now 16 especially gets it either in the bath or shower. I now do not let her bath alone. I do not know if this is normal. I still need to find a answer as to what is wrong with her. One thing I know is that she does not have epilepcy as this was tested. Did you manage to get a cure for your jerking?
Hello!
I know this is a few years late, and you may have already figured this out (FYI. I'm just new to this site), but in case you haven't,  what it sounds like you might have, opussaxest, are tics (not to be confused with the term "tick").. These tend to arise during childhood in some people and, in brief, are characterized by passing abrupt and irregular movements and/or muscle "jerks".  With effort and concentration, those with tics are often able to suppress their tics, however usually tics are accompanied with an inner urge to do the action (ex. blink eyes repetitively, jerk neck, twist arm, etc).  Once the action has been done, there is usually a sense of relief and the need to continue with the movements is temporarily extinguished. You may or may not know that Tourette's, while commonly known as condition where an individual is unable to control shouting out particular words, can also present the same way with respects to physical movements.  So some people actually have Tourette's as the cause for this, while others simply have tics because, well, they have tics.  Hope this helps. Its always hard to diagnose without doing a full workup on someone, but at least there is something for you to look at and see if it fits your experience.

All the best!
This person had the right answer. Lyme disease.. Dr's will try to tell you it's not to keep you sick, and it doesn't show up on most the stupid test they take, but you can pay a lab to test you (Igenex) this can get bad and cause psychological problems, insomnia, depression, adhd etc.. Also you can pass it sexually Dr's are clueless when it comes to this. People hardly ever get that stupid bull's eye rash. Your best bet to get diagnosed is a private lab like the one i listed Igenex. Definitely NOT normal though.

Your welcome.
What are you thanking him for? He forgot to put Lyme disease or like the other person said parasites.. Which is most likely the answer.