Body Jerks, But Awake
My wife has (from what I've researched) hypnic jerks while falling asleep and while sleeping. We've been told this is normal. What isn't normal (in our opinion) is that she has these when she is awake. She might be reading, walking, writing, talking, or pretty much any activity. Some days she'll have quite of few of them and other days she won't. But she does seem to have more when she is tired or stressed. She's had an MRI and an EEG but the doctors told us they didn't see enything abnormal. I think they gave her Clenazopam (only if I remember right) but after awhile it stopped working. Has anyone else experienced this?
It happens to me only when I am in a very competitive state of mind. The first time it happened was when i was playing cards with some friends and i was concentrating on the game and my strategy so hard that I suddenly jerked and all the cards fell out of my hands. It was embarrassing. It happens to me mostly when i am doing something where i have to really use my mind and think hard. Then i blank out for half a second and the jerk occurs. But hasn't happened that much recently. I just try to calm myself down and make myself conscious to not think too hard or get too stressed. I take a second to relax then carry on. It works most of the time!!
I have had the MJ for about 4-5 months now. I tried Klonopin, but which worked until I became allergic (I was allergic to Ativan already). Can't take Keppra, do to a serious side effect. I was told by the Kaiser Head Of Neurology for Northern CA, that these were the prefered drugs, but doesn't want to try me on other benzodiazines (like Valium) because of the potential for cross-allergy. I refused to take Dilantin and Depakote - both serious anti-seizure medications. Apparently I twitch alot at night at times (my husband has borne the brunt of them!), have had a normal EEG and Brain MRI. I can tolerate most of the twiches, but the ones that get to me (this during the day) are the ones where you are not supposed to feel the muscle is moving. I get bad ones in my abdomen, I think due to massive hernia repairs (I still have a large hernia, but it can't be seen and is coved by a mesh). I take magnesium and potassium supplements, but they still cont. My PCP thinks they are caused by a decrease in kidney function, and the neurologist says he thinks they are from nerve damage due to diabetes.
im having jerks since i got my scs, i found the more i stim, the worst the jerks, i to talked to the doctor he said nothing to worry about, but hes not the one losing control of his muscles while resting, your not alone. roxie, if your need to talk ***@****
you might want to get her tested for parkinson's disease, she seems to have the symptoms.
I'm sure you've all had those jerks of your legs when you are falling asleep and your muscles relax.  Four years ago I noticed my legs were jerking more and more.  There is a spot on my right leg, just above the bend of my knee that you can watch jerk.  Sometimes there isn't much jerking, but sometimes it's 24/7.  Some jerks are mild, and some jerks are so hard I could kick a person out of a chair.  When I'm tired it goes to both legs jerking.  Now my arms are starting to jerk and I have had a couple of times when my head would jerk for a few mins. like a seizure.  There is no pain at all with this.  My doctor said it was restless leg syndrome, but nothing more.  No medicine or a specialist.  Sad doctors don't give a flip unless it's them, huh?  This is very embarassing when I am in public like a restaurant.  I can't have a boyfriend stay the night.  Tried it and he didn't come back.  I am now over 60.  Why don't doctors care?  This has ruined my life.
Hi treetracker! I would highly recommend that you try magnesium supplements. Magnesium and calcium are building blocks of the nervous system and an imbalance will result in twitching. Magnesium relaxes muscles, whereas calcium contracts muscles. Too much calcium and too little magnesium could mean cutting out some dairy and eating dark greens. I have had exactly the same problem, where the general twitching of falling asleep became suddenly, during my vacation after an evening on the town, quite violent, making it difficult to sleep. And then it started happening when I was awake, especially in my hands. My doctor said the same thing," it's restless leg syndrome...it's common". And I asked, " But how do I get rid of it?" he didn't really have an answer. I did research online and read about magnesium. I started taking supplements and over a periodof a month, I could see how much it helped. I was even able to sleep better. A year has gone by and now I only take it if I've had alcohol or if I've been eating poorly (too busy to make dinner which would normally include kale or spinach or some other dark bitter green leaf). I hope this helps. Good luck!
I am a 47 year old female and I too am having these jerks & twitches while fully awake but mostly while lying in bed watching TV etc. I really just noticed they are worse when in the same position and they seem to radiate from my joints.
im 15 and I get real strange body shakes while about to go to sleep .. it actully just now happened I get a shake it starts in my spine and then my whole body shakes,Normally I'm alseep then I wake up,but this time I was awake and then my shakes started it just made me wanna close my eyes.i feel tired untill the shaking stops then I have a little bit of a shake in my arms like when ur hungry so I eat something small to stop my shakes if I don't eat it will happen again within 20mins also afterward my heart beats faster then normal ... Help me , my mom keeps saying its nothing . I don't think it's nothing tho
hi i have myoclonus somtimes when i am in my washroom is it normal??
Hi  am a man who as been suffering from depression and anxiety panic disorder and under a lot of stress. Have been having this problem going back to September 2011, I was 22 at the time I was I started to suffer with all the ongoing problems.  Sometimes I find it difficult to get to sleep at night as eyes shut or open I feel my eyes head face switch I feel scared because I think am going to die.   Wonder if I can have some information regarding this problem.
I m 20 n i.started noticing this 2 years ago. I have researched and diagnosed myself with mayoclonus. So not fun. I also suffer from a neuro dissorder idiopathic intercranial hyperactive hypertension pressure due to the over production of cerebral spinal fluid. Awesome right. No health insurance. My neuro is so expensive so i havent gone back in forever. I have jerks at any time. Notice them while at rest but it can happen whenever. Sweet a mild form of epilepsy. Arent we awesome -_____-
Hi Nelson,

I have been going through the same problem from the past 6 months. I have severe pain in my lower back that causes numbness in my leg/feet, i have been identified to be suffering from disc herniation in l4-l5 and l5-s1 levels. Even I get jerks while asleep.you can mail me at naman.***@**** to share more..
can be caused by lack of vitamin B 12, which causes pheripheral neuropathy.
I am 30 years old and have been dealing with this about half a year or so. It came out of the blue and is pretty bad. I am extremely fatigued and will doze off if I'm still for any length of time,  even at red lights.it only happens when I'm tired though it seems. But I jerk violently over and over a few minutes apart. Its worrying my husband and myself. It can't be normal.
I have the same thing!!!! I have tried to talk to my doctor about it but just as you all have said they say "it's normal". Sorry but I truly don't feel that this is normal at all. Mine started about 3 weeks ago & now I'm having sharp stabbing pain in the center of my chest and it hurts horribly when I take a deep breath, along with these black spots that seem to be crawling like bugs when looking out the corner of my eyes. I keep thinking I'm having a heart attack but everyone makes me think I'm crazy.  Along with my newly jerking body I now have one side of my sternum seems enlarged along with the whole side of my rib cage (only one side).  When I brought this up at my doctor visit he asked if I've had any hard blow to my chest which I have not. I'm a 31 year old female.  Please if anyone can shed any light to this please help, I really would be at ease. Thanks for listening.  Good luck to the rest of you as well!!!
im a 28 year old male who has had these twitches, as i call them, as far back as i can remember. sometimes i can feel them coming on and can stop them. when i do that it looks like im about to nod off, but am still wide awake. other times i dont feel them coming on and i get a sever twitch through my whole body which leaves me covered in goose bumps. it happens when its hot cold wet dry. i do not know the cause of them.sometimes they are so bad that if im standing the twitches cause my feet to leave the ground. Im worried that its a neurological problem. Can anyone help me figure out the cause of them and is there anything that i can do to get rid of them. Any tips or suggestions please email me at ***@****. thank you
The answer to our healing is Jesus Christ of Nazareth. I'll be praying for all of us in here. Many blessings. Good Night.
It could be the genetic disorder that my sister and I have called myoclonus dystonia. Here`s a wed site that might help explain things. http://www.omsusa.org/article4.pdf
And another one is:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1414/
Get a specialized genetic doctor to take a look
Hello, I am a 47 year old female that has body jerking while awake and I think I'm having them in my sleep, I had a EEG and cap scan, and was told that they having find anything, I was having these body jerk since Oct. I shakes, gets a headache, waste urine,and gets very sleepy after its over sometimes it makes me feel as if I'm going to pass out, my chest hurts because the jerks is be so hard and strong until my feet's rise up my head rises from my pillow, now i'm out of work because of these jerks and shakes, plus I makes  some type of noise with my mouth when I'm having these jerks as well.
Lots of sex and hot baths! Works clockwork
I have these jerks due to premature aging of my cerebellum.I was on Tegretol(carbomazapine)for 10 years,due to a torn nerve branch on my spinal cord.My neurologist prescribed Seroquel,which helps immensely as I can now sleep.Hope this helps.
Has anyone thought that maybe this is from a parasite infection?  I have had these since I was little mostly falling asleep but at other times too.  

I have just started reading a book by Dr. Hulda Clark called The Cure for All Diseases.  Really interesting!!  Check it out y'all!  

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMM
My body now restores itself to its natural state of vibrant good health!
OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM

I am a man over 50 and had these jerks since 13-14 years. Initially I had stiff necks and neck jerks then in late twenties it spread upto stiff back , then I had tiredness and breathing difficulties. in My 40's I developed whole body jerks.
I had painful spots on my arms and legs and when pressing these positions I felt some energy passes through my neck and neck start jerks. eventually when all the painful spots have been pressed I feel my lungs starts to breath deeply and the body or neck sweats then only  I fall asleep
If I do not release the energy from the blocked spots then next morning I feel tired. and if I continue for two three days without releasing blocked energy then I will have whole body muscle tightness and tiredness. I would feel relieved from these muscle tightness, only if I do some exercises.
recently I find severe difficulty to breath and went to do MRI, Angio, blood tests. but no problems. my health is excellent. Drs say this is some nerve problem and may lead MS. so I started researching MS symptoms. it is true.
I never had any medicines for these except magnesium powder, which helps to release muscle tensions and help me to sleep, but the pain and jerks still persist. the pain does not hurt me so I do not realise I have them. I feel the pain only when I touch certain muscles.
but I came across a yoga exercise for nerves and muscles and it helps immensely and I do not have the jerks after trying this one exercise.
I recommend those who have nerve and muscle problem do these.
the Yogi is nearly 100 years old and speaks in Tamil. just notice the link from 1.20 minutes to 11 mins. and continues on part 3 of the Youtube for first 4 minutes. Basically the first exercise is massaging the nerves off the feet of heart, eyes and ears, spine and all internal organs. the second is  opening the lungs and energising the organs by breathing is for 5 times each.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGgx5SpInY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyv-TQ6z32A
Thanks dear RajGoppal
Hi, my daughter now 16 especially gets it either in the bath or shower. I now do not let her bath alone. I do not know if this is normal. I still need to find a answer as to what is wrong with her. One thing I know is that she does not have epilepcy as this was tested. Did you manage to get a cure for your jerking?
Hello!
I know this is a few years late, and you may have already figured this out (FYI. I'm just new to this site), but in case you haven't,  what it sounds like you might have, opussaxest, are tics (not to be confused with the term "tick").. These tend to arise during childhood in some people and, in brief, are characterized by passing abrupt and irregular movements and/or muscle "jerks".  With effort and concentration, those with tics are often able to suppress their tics, however usually tics are accompanied with an inner urge to do the action (ex. blink eyes repetitively, jerk neck, twist arm, etc).  Once the action has been done, there is usually a sense of relief and the need to continue with the movements is temporarily extinguished. You may or may not know that Tourette's, while commonly known as condition where an individual is unable to control shouting out particular words, can also present the same way with respects to physical movements.  So some people actually have Tourette's as the cause for this, while others simply have tics because, well, they have tics.  Hope this helps. Its always hard to diagnose without doing a full workup on someone, but at least there is something for you to look at and see if it fits your experience.

All the best!
This person had the right answer. Lyme disease.. Dr's will try to tell you it's not to keep you sick, and it doesn't show up on most the stupid test they take, but you can pay a lab to test you (Igenex) this can get bad and cause psychological problems, insomnia, depression, adhd etc.. Also you can pass it sexually Dr's are clueless when it comes to this. People hardly ever get that stupid bull's eye rash. Your best bet to get diagnosed is a private lab like the one i listed Igenex. Definitely NOT normal though.

Your welcome.
What are you thanking him for? He forgot to put Lyme disease or like the other person said parasites.. Which is most likely the answer.
Those spots are called trigger points. Press lightly for 90 seconds, release again after several minutes should soreness remain.
I have had multiple spinal surgeries and nerve injuries, resulting in more and more of these trigger points throughout the body.
Have found trigger point release and yoga stretch with deep paradoxical breathing including manual release to be best.
I am 47. When I get over tired from work ( I stand for usually 7 to 9 hrs) or from long days of activities, I often start twitching or jerking after I sit or lay down and start to relax.  The twitch is usually full body, not just arms or legs; sometimes I jerk into an almost fetal position.  They range from mild to very strong.  They do not cause pain but make me uncomfortable.

Is this a condition I should be concerned enough about to contact my PCP?
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/myoclonus/detail_myoclonus.htm try this link i found that it helped me understand
i get it too.
not a lot but when i do its so scary, today i was sitting looking at my computer then all of a sudden felt like my brain fell out for a split second then recover, i also have depression an server anxiety disorder.. maybe has somthing to do with that, but really gets me scared when it happens.
i get it too.
My 3 year old son is having the same symptoms that most of you are referring to. It is non stop from the time that he wakes up in the Mornings, and stops only after he falls into his sleep. We are currently at Scottish Rite in Ga. He is going throught the Process of ruling out this and that. I'm being told that it is a Movement Disorder.  They have started him on a medication tonight. What have you Learned, and can you give me advice?
im seeing the same symptoms you speak of in myself and just about everyone around me and its scaring the hell out of me. seriously now 9/10 people i know now have this. and the sad part is no one ever used to have it but in the past 2-3 years everyone now has it and the conditions are becoming worse within all of then. i dont know what else to expect other than the food we eat amd chemicals all around us. i mean who knows whats even in our food with all the hormones, GMOs, pesticides, and MSGs... this is something that seems to be if you dont have it now it will effect you soon enough. ive watched family,friend,and stranger unvolintarily move limbs... limb after limb and with my symptoms il be the next to move limbs...  daily i have small muscle twitches and are progressively getting worse as days go on and recently have had a few involuntary limb movements but since with the occurance is hard to deter from natural flinch or this sickness... its hard watching the people i care for slowly decline and im next in line... this sickness has a bit more to it than face value... and btw no doctor will cure you. pray to god for an answer
Same here with me!  I am now taking more Parkinson's medicine than most severe Parkinson's patients.  If I don't, instead of twitches that lead to tremors, that then lead to jerking all over my body. After that, I begin to violently jerk so hard that by body literally would knock my husband out of the bed while he was alive.  I have also began falling backward to the degree that I have injured my spine and must now have major back surgery. Like many of  you, the jerking gets much worse when I am very fatigued or go for long periods without sleep, which is very often because I have horrible insomnia.  I also get where my speech is slurred and then is completely  unintelligible. I did have a massive stroke in my sleep in 1996, at 48.  I am military officer's widow and I live alone with my three dogs. Sometimes I have been injured by the falls and jerking body that I have been taken to the emergency room, where, of course, they knock me out with heavy drugs/  Is there anyone who has similar problems and has gotten a read diagnosis?  I will be soooo grateful for any help  you can give me.  This is destroying my l ife!
sounds like lyme
Please ask your doctor to check you & send you to be checked for Fibromyalgia... It took me 10 long years to diagnosis as no one seemed to think  anything was wrong with me... It was apparently obvious from my continued build up different symptoms where my condition was heading. Yet! everyone missed all the signs, which all began with these symptoms your are mentioning. Worth looking into, & if they don't catch it the first or 100th time.. never give up on trying to fins out.. after all only we know when things change. Don't just accept, an antibiotic & an you will be fine type of diagnosis as all that will lead you to is Depression & feeling like your going crazy or its all in your head.. Good Luck, & hope you get some relief soon... Just an answer make all the difference, especially where it becomes a worry to you.. :) Hope this helped even in a small way.
this is happening to me as well im 15 and even if its the slightests noise in jerk real fast and while im dozeing off
Hi there my name is Cindy and I just turned 30years old i wasnt born with it but i got my jerks from stress and depression, my jerks is such an insault for me because i cant control it and people still laugh at me when i get the jerks. sometimes my jerks is so powerfull it pushes me back with a huge impact as if someone push me to fall backwards.sometimes it happens as if someone pushes me to fall faward into something.with my jerks in the 20years now i have fallen my head open 8times on the same spot everytime, almost broken both my anckles this past december 2014 brused my head and body alot,to be honest my sickness took my briteness and model future away i could never except this myoclonic epilepsy sickness of mine i also lied about my sickness to my friends in school otherwise i would never had any friends at all.my biggest wish ever was to be normal without this sickness and to have my licence and own car and great work and today i must live with a babysitter  on my side...people i cry so much i hate it
Yes,My knees gave way with out any warning.   I was on the floor for an hour.   I call a friend and was put in an office chair I used.    When I trying to walk again my knees kept giving away as my arms.  This jerking and I was still on the floor.  I got  help and was again place in a office chair then in my chair in the living room.    I didn't know what to do or what was happen to me.  I did took a nap and I was able to get to my bed.  I use chairs and did very little walking.  The next morning I was walking fine.

Well this happen a second time a few days ago.  Out of the blue with out any pain.  This friend was able to put me in my chair.    I didn't have to rest  nearly as long.    I still don't know what is going on and will it start happening again?  Any advice?
hi my name is Christina, I have some what the same symtoms you did, im glad to hear your better. I notice that with me if I don't get a good night rest my body will twitch the next day without me having any control of it. it started ten years ago I just had my daughter and went out with my husband for drinks I did have quite a bit to drink nothing bad should've just had a normal hang over, any way the next day my body felt really stressed and tired and I started twitching so strong my husband though I was having seizures, I went to neurologist everything came back normal. but I still till this day suffer from it. I looked up the magnesium website you listed and im going to give it a try. Is there anything else you can recommend to me? Im so desperate and tired of living like this, im now a single mother of 3, and they need me. Please Help.
Lyme disease for years I was told was everything under the sun but had a test through Isagenix and it was positive. I jerk primarily on my left side. Watch the movie "Under the Skin" it will teach you what she may have. All the best'n
I am 22 years old and I guess I have the same problem. When I woke up in the morning sometimes sudden Jerks while I am brushing or while in washroom. Sometimes I fell down and get hurt. Recently while Exercising I felt down and got my Chin Injured and nearly broke my jaw.
I don't know how this is happening but a Medicine named Divaa-500 is really effective. I think you should try it.
Hi, I just came a crossed your post. I work in the neurology field and your post got my attention. How long has this been happening to you and have you ever had a seizure? If this has been happening since you were younger,It sounds like you may be experiencing a condition called juvenile myoclonic epilepsy or JME. Along with your age and what you described is the hallmark symtoms of this condition. I strongly suggest you find a neurologist (Epileptologist) that specializes in seizure disorders. You will need a test called an EEG for proper diagnosis. This condition is treatable with specific medications but first you need to be diagnosed and other conditions need to be ruled out. If you live in Florida I can give you some contacts of doctors that may be able to help you. Good luck and sorry to hear that you are going though this.
The message below is for you. I accidentally didn't reply to you directly. Thank you!
Neuro11 - I live in FL and have been having these myoclonic jerks for a few years now. I am 38 years old. They went away for a little while after I had surgery for my Chiari Malformation, but theyre back. Ive been on Zoloft since I was 16, and IVe noticed that they get worse with higher dosages. IVe had numerous EEGs and MRIs that have shown some epileptic activity. Do you know of any correlation between myoclonus and Zoloft? I have a neurologist but hes dismissed my theory on this. However IVe tested this theory on myself after first noticing it and it's definitly something in the Zoloft causing it. Any direction you can point me in to find more information on this? IVe done research online but havent found much. Thank you!
SarahScalia,Crazy you say that because I just started having these myoclonic jerks and have been doing some research all day and found this and I take Zoloft too. So I definitely think there is a correlation between the two..
Hi, I'm a 54 year old woman and I've had this cor a few months. So sorry to hear you suffer with this also yet relieved to know I'm not crazy. I think you hit the nail on the head. I take A weight loss med,Contrave.has buproprion and naltrexone.it can cause seizures.i do not want to stop it cause I've lost 78 lbs.Seizures also run in the family but from youth. When I get that jerk and my eyes roll back it feel like I'm leaving for a sec. I've done it standing.once it made my hand fly out and
hit the counter.each time I think if it does keep going on longer than a second  that I WILL fall.I had just gone to over night shift at hospital and sleep was messed up and thought I was just tired and was falling asleep until just now when I found this post.wow.
Hi everyone. I have been taking clomipramine for two years now and I developed twitching and jerking throughout my whole body after increasing on to it. It appears to be most severe during sleep where i thrash about with huge jerking movement's and have freaked my household out (they thought I was having seizures). I have also torn a ligament in my leg and it won't heal because every night my leg is kicking - I remember yelling in pain but I'm unable to wake up during it. My psychiatrist and GP say its not the medication but rather anxiety - I've been anxious my whole life, I'm sure it is to do with the medication. Thanks for reading my story. Sine
Yes absolutely, and I am so greatful u posted ur concerns. I have been seeking for answers for the last 3 months. Even general practitioners or nurses seem to know the problem.

Any way, like ur wife I tend to experience frequent muscle spasms or jerks. Lately the movements (Jerks) are significantly greater then a twitch. I tend to experience these movements while I'm laying down in bed, either awake or about to fall asleep; and like ur wife, while under a lot of stress.

There is a part of me that believes there is an element of spiritualism involved, in conjunction to neurological or something. However. I hope u discovered some answers, it would be nice to find out what's going with my body. Thanks
sarah scalia, des872, winkinblinkinnod, sine, &al-

hypnagogic jerks/ myoclonus induced by SSRI's: it's a real thing.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4481805/

i'm a psychiatrist, and i HATE it when docs tell you it's all in your head without even doing a 10 second literature search.  
I get them only in my hands throughout the day. They appeared when I was 29 during a stressful phase when I was unemployed for a long time. Started as a hand pain similar to arthritis, now just periodic jerks. I'm healthy and take no medications. PMP seems to shrug it off and only does blood tests. I wonder if this is a new normal for me or will I have a seizure one day or something.
I am glad to hear that other people are experiencing this same thing. Currently i am on the run up to my GCSE exams and I am under a lot of stress. I tend to experience these weird jerks in my body when in things such as assembly when i know I am meant to sit still. I try my best to stop my body from doing this but I can not. I sit with my friends and I wonder if they are noticing this too or it is all in my head. I honestly do not know what is going on with my body, if anyone has any answers as to what this could be please let me know.