NEUROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Body Jerks, But Awake
by ashezbryan, Jan 09, 2008
My wife has (from what I've researched) hypnic jerks while falling asleep and while sleeping. We've been told this is normal. What isn't normal (in our opinion) is that she has these when she is awake. She might be reading, walking, writing, talking, or pretty much any activity. Some days she'll have quite of few of them and other days she won't. But she does seem to have more when she is tired or stressed. She's had an MRI and an EEG but the doctors told us they didn't see enything abnormal. I think they gave her Clenazopam (only if I remember right) but after awhile it stopped working. Has anyone else experienced this?
Member Comments (62)
by colette0786, Feb 28, 2008
I am a 21 year old female, who is experiencing the same thing. Im not sure where it came from, but I was also told that the jerks are normal. It only happens when i am really tired or just dosing off, but it only happens when I close my eyes. Some days I'll jerk for a long time, mostly when I start to wake up, and then other days I won't jerk at all. It is very strange to me that this is normal, plus I have had this since I was 18. I do not have anxiety, and the only thing I can think of is me not getting enough sleep. I wish I could give you some advice on what to do, but I have no idea on what steps to take on anything. Another thing that is strange is when I tried to show my doctor my jerks, I could not jerk in front of her. It seems like if I tell myself not to jerk, keep my eyes open or if Im thinking about it, I won't jerk. I hope that there is some kind of treatment that could fix this.
by Abhijeet Deshmukh, MDBlank, Feb 28, 2008
Hello.

Such jerks are mostly stress induced. Can you identify stress factors in her life ? Reducing stress will help a lot. And does she get enough sleep ?

Regards
by ragonhild, Jun 18, 2008
no this is NOT normal, thos is likely neuro lyme.
www.lymenet.org for more info.
I have had this, but it went away with antibiotic treatment (long term more than 1 year antibotics)
by sas2066, May 19, 2009
i have this muscle jerking as same i don't know why is it happening? so i am too searching for it . i am 16 and it's been more than a year that started happening. any part of my body's muscle jerk at any time.
by opussaxest, Jul 07, 2009
OMG I thought I was the only spaz on the planet. I have had this disorder since I was a little boy. I ALWAYS jerk. It varies in frequency depending on how tense I am but on average it happens every 30 seconds. I find that I can control it a bit when I meditate or forcably calm down but I cant stop it. It is driving me nuts and is emberrassing. I am 45 now and want it to go away grrrr. I think that the only time I dont have these jerks is when I am deep asleep. Where does a guy go for help with this.
by purdykj3, Aug 25, 2009
I had the same problem this morning. I woke up with the sensation that I was falling. It continued when I went into the bathroom. It happened for about ten min. I got up and called 911. My phone could not get service and I was laying on the floor in my dinning room. It was happening about once every other second. I thought I was going to die on my dinning room floor. I have never been so scared in my whole life. All I could think of was my wife, son and our baby on the way. I prayed to god that he wouldn't take me now. I thought for sure I was about to meet my maker and Die. Has anyone had an experiance this bad and how have they dealed with it. If so email me at ***@****
by row27, Sep 04, 2009
i have had these jerks for years i am a 37 year old woman. this upsets me because i can be at work an all the sudden i will throw my arm up in the air or slam the cp key board or just jerk my entire body.  i also am startled easy by noise or touch.  i can see u coming to touch me an i may jerk.  i jerk when im falling asleep the entire time till im asleep an may even do it while sleeping.  anyone heard of this? email me at
***@****
Avatar_dr_m_tn
by Dr RajgopalBlank, Sep 04, 2009
Involuntary jerks of the body are termed as Myoclonus. Myoclonus is brief, involuntary twitching of a muscle or a group of muscles.The myoclonic twitches are usually caused by sudden muscle contractions. Contractions are called positive myoclonus. The most common time when people encounter them is while falling asleep (hypnic jerk). But myoclonic jerks may also occur while one is awake and are also a sign of a number of neurological disorders besides stress and anxiety. Mostly myoclonus is one of several signs in a wide variety of nervous system disorders such as Multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), SLE ( systemic lupus erythematosus) and some forms of epilepsy. It may also result from infection, head or spinal cord injury, stroke, brain tumors, kidney or liver failure, lipid storage disease, chemical or drug poisoning, as a side effect of certain drugs (e.g. tramadol and quinolones). It is also found in MERRF ( Myoclonic epilepsy and Red Ragged Fibres), a rare mitochondrial encephalomyopathy. Please consult a physician and neurologist to find out the cause. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!

by HelenBryant, Apr 16, 2010
I'm a 60 yr old woman diagnoised with myoclonic jerks 6 yrs. ago.  Neuo game me clonaspam 1 mg. at night before I go to bed.  This worked for 6 years as it only happend before I went to sleep.  Now, it has progressed into late afternoon jerks.  Sometimes they last for hours.  I have been under a lot of stress for 4 mths.  Then I took the stomach flu ended up in the hospital and they really got bad.  I'm ashamed to go out late at night because they come on with no warning.  I can't control them at all.  I have notice extreme fatigue lately and then if I lay down I go into a very deep sleep.  Does anybody else have these symptons?