Neurology Expert Forum
Bone Fusion

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bone Fusion

I have had 2 spinal fusions (L3-S1) and the first one the bone did not fuse.  Now the second one the bone is not fusing.  I am using a bone stimulator.  

My question is what causes the bone not to fuse and is there anything I can do to help the bone fuse?

Thanks for the answer.
Dear Mary Beth:

Sorry to hear about your bone fusions.  Your doctors are doing what they can to help your bone fusion.  The stimulator should do the trick.  There is a certain glue that has been used in patients who cannot undergo surgery, but see if the stimulator doesn't do the trick.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
The only suggestion I can make is that if you smoke, you need to stop.  Smoking restricts bone fusion.

I had a fusion and they made me stop smoking - Wellburtrin (Zyban) really helped a bunch.

Good luck!
I have had lower back pain since my mid 20's. I went to see a orthopedic surgeon his diagnosis was SPONDYLOLISTHESIS. He said that this was caused by an injury that did'nt heal or birth defect.The surgeon suggested bone fusion to possibly take care of the problem.He also suggested that I think strongly about possibly learning to live with the pain that I have.He rated the spondylolisthesis from 1-5 with 5 being the worst. I was given a 1. My question to you is. If I don't have this surjury at the age of 37 will this be a bigger problem when I get older? Also if I do have this surjury ,how successful is this type of surjury?
I, too, have a diagnosis of spondylolthesis.  My orthopedic surgeon first told me I would have to have surgery.  Now he is putting me off and telling me to try other options.  I have seen a neural surgeon as well.  I have already done all the other options through the neural surgeon.  When all else was tried, she sent me to the orthopedic surgeon.  I have compression of the nerves, a slipped disk at L5 and a bulging disk at L4, along with the spondylolthesis.  I can only walk with a cane, and only a limited distance.  I am in my late 30's and can no longer do housework, go to the grocery store, or any physical activity of any kind.  Some evenings I have to go upstairs on my rear end because my right leg can't even be dragged up a step.  Most of my pain is in the right buttock, sometimes going down the leg.  I have some serious pain in the lower back, but it is not constant.  I have had an MRI, a mylogram, a cat scan, a bone scan, and several different x-rays.  When does the risk outweigh the surgery?  I already don't have much of a physical life, and I'm not even 40 yet.  I have done everything my insurance will cover, and I can't afford any other options on my own.  Should I push for the surgery?