Neurology Community
Botox for peripheral neuropathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Botox for peripheral neuropathy

I have a history of left peroneal neuropathy arising from compartment syndrome, after an injury 9 yrs ago. It improved greatly after I changed careers, permitting a long period of rest (1-2 yrs), along with continued PT.

It was aggravated by re-injury a year ago. My current symptoms since then are numbness, parasthesias, fatigability and mild weakness of the dorsiflexors/evertors of the foot, with mild anterior tibialis atrophy. I cannot get any prolonged rest due to continuous requirements for physical activity (I went back to my original job some time ago). It is continually aggravated by activity on my feet.

At my evaluation, the neurologist documented 5/5 motor on dorsiflexion, although my perceived exertion to dorsiflex the affected foot and keep it there is profoundly different. He did recognize and document the mild atrophy and diminished sensation in the extremity.

A neurologist currently has me taking gabapentin and amitryptiline. Gabapentin didn't work in the past. He says he wants to do Botox injections if this approach doesn't work. I am concerned about the use of Botox in an area of motor dysfunction and atrophy.

Any thoughts? Thank you
yes.
I unfortunately found out the hard way about all the severe problems with botox.  They use botox for a localized peripheral neuropathy since when a nerve is injured it causes severe pain but when it is completely destroyed there is no pain at all.  The hopes is it will detruct the nerve more and the pain will cease.  Although if it gets in your blood stream it can cause neuropathy all over your body just check the package insert. It is the most potent neurotoxin known to man and by definition destructs nerves.  I would avoid this treatment if at all possible could really set you up for a worse nightmare. I am living that nightmare every day for the past three years