Neurology Expert Forum
Brachial Plexus

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Brachial Plexus

Among other things, my Neuro told me I have Brachial Plexus in my shoulders.

It starts out as what feels like a boulder under my shoulder blade and rapidly progresses to neck and upper shoulder pain, then to severe cramping in my arm and fingers with tingling at the tips. I am unable to turn my head due to the pain involved.

Then it moved to my other shoulder for the 1st time. I have had this problem for many years and just figured out it is possibly due to a horse riding accident, that I conviently forgotten, in my teens along with a few car wrecks.

I had several Nerve Blocks and Trigger Point injections done and it stopped the immediate pain under my shoulder blade. It took almost another week for the cramping to go away. During this week, the boulder migrated under my other shoulder blade. Luckily it didn't progress much other than pain whenever I moved my arm, neck or head for a few days.

I have done a bit of reseach on the Internet, but found mostly information on infants with Erbs Syndrome.

Is there anything that can be done to help?

My Neuro and I are thinking the riding accident is the root of all my chronic neck, shoulder and upper back pain that he has been treating me for about 6 years now, along with migraines. We just can't believe I had forgotten the accident until an old friend reminded me the day before I went in for the injections.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

Lynda
I assume you mean brachial plexitis. The brachial plexus is a term that describes the group of nerves from the spinal cord that supply the motor strength and sensation to the arm and is something that we all have. Having said that, you don't mention any signs/symptoms of weakness. It seems rather unusual for a case of brachial plexitis to produce pain ONLY rather than objective weakness that is true weakness and not just limited strength due to pain.  For a more definitive diagnosis, an EMG by a physician who is formally trained or at a major academic center and possibly an MRI of the cervical spine  should be considered. If this does turn out to be brachial plexitis or neuralgic amyotrophy then there are treatment options available such as IVIG.  Also, if it is a bad disk pushing on a spinal nerve, then surgery may be an option. If you have a neurologist, I assume you've had  a formal exam. Further investigation may be warranted for appropriate treatment. Talk to your doc or consdier a second opinion. In the meantime, try NSAIDS, light duty, no heavy lifting (no more htan a gallon of milk) and gentle stretching. Good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, treatment for brachial plexitis was started.
A related discussion, whats wrong with my shoulder was started.