Neurology Community
Brain Calcification

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Brain Calcification

About a month ago, a hammer fell on my hand while shifting a heavy luggage. I have had a headache, neck-pain and shoulder pain since then. When the pain did not go for more than a month I consulted a doctor and went through a CT Scan and a Neck X-ray.
The Neck X-ray was OK with no bone dammage.
The brain CT scan was also OK except a white spot on the top of my brain, which doctor told me was calcification.
However, he told me there was no need to worry at it was not not abnormal at all. This was in Japan.
I must mention that i have had my inhibitions about consulting Japanese doctors.
Anyhow,this doctor gave me some Vitamin E tablets and another tablet to sooth the nerves (it seems) which I am suppossed to take for a month or so. He has not guaranteed that this will soothe the pain but I am giving it a try in any case.
I have dull pain in my head, especially in the mornings when I get up, and my neck/shoulder pain refuse to go.
Can you tell me if there is anything to worry?
Is there a possibility that the calcification was caused a month or so back due to the hammer?
Look forward to your reply.

Regards,
I'm confused.  Did the hammer hit your head or your hand?  If it hit your head, did you have a huge lump there?  Is there still a hard lump at the site?  Quix
Hello, Quixotic1
Thanks for your reply,
apologies for the typo...
the hammer fell on my head and not my hand....
there is no lump but i still feel pain around that area...
Hi Quix,
Thanks a ton for your reply.
I am more than relived after reading it.

Since there was no bruise outside, it is hard to tell and moreover the doctor also did not mention about calcification being a result of the head injury.
But now since you mention, I will re-check the position of the calcification.
If it is actually because of the blow from hammer, then i am happy that atleast there is no cause of worry as it may heal by itself though it will take a couple of months as you mentioned.

I will send the reports to India for a second opinion.

Thanks again, Quix.

Regards,
Puneeta
Of, course, over the internet I can't be sure of this, but this is what I think likely has happened.  I am a physician so I've seen this kind of thing before.

I should ask did the hammer hit you on top of your head?  In about the spot where they saw the calcium?  If yes, then the rest of what I have written below is probably right.  If not, Then I have no clue...

When the hammer hit your head it probably caused a big lump and a bad bruise.  The lump was a hematoma (a collection of blood, like a localized hemorrhage).  You probably snapped your neck, in reflex to the blow and suffered some whiplash - straining of your neck muscles.  A blow like that will often cause headaches and neck problems at the spot for many months.

Another  possibility is that the hammer may have caused a small dent (fracture) in the bone with bleeding just under the lining of the bone.  This sounds horribly serious, but it isn't.  Skull fractures heal very well (we don't even put them in casts, LOL.)

The body tries to reabsorb any bleeding in it, but some bruises don't completely liquefy and reabsorb. Then, for reasons that I don't completely understand, the body lays down calcium in the clot of blood.  Then over time that calcium is usually mostly reabsorbed.  It's a way of healing.

So, the calcium that was seen on CT scan could have been from the bruise where you were hit with the hammer, or it could be the new calcium of the bone fracture healing itself.  Either way, it does not sound serious.

I hope this helps.  You might request copies of the CT scan and send them to friends or family in the States (or wherever) to get a second opinion if you're still worried.

Quix

Hello, once again!!
Apologies for troubling you again, wonder if you could help me with one more question.
I go to the gym everyday - do about 30 mins of jogging, machines (not to heavy, not too light) and abt. 20-30 mins of swimming.
Do you think any of these can prevent the healing of calcification in my brain?
Especially, swimming since it puts extra pressure on the head?
Should I stop, or can I continue? I dont feel any pain or discomfot while doing any of the above.

Thanks again,

Regards,
Puneeta
Hi, no bother!  I wouldn't think, from what you've told me, that any form of exercise (except maybe gymnastics and landing on your head...lol) should be a problem at all.  Enjoy!  Quix
Thanks a ton, Quix.
I will keep that in mind :)

I hit my hand recently with a hammer and it swelled up but did not bruise. It really never hut too bad but now I have a hard bump there. Is tis possibly calcification?
Yes, definitely.  Hematomas any where on the body may calcify and become rock hard.  They then reabsorb over the next several months.  In newborns with these hematomas the calcification almost always completely resolves, but I do not know if they always completely go away in adults.  In any case they are benign - not a problem.

Quix
I have a bump on the center of my head that runs down almost towards the front. It is exactly where the plates meet when they join together all the way down to the other plates towards the front. It is a hard bony lump. I would go as far as to say that it is a bone. I have had this thing for as long as I can remember. Is this something I should be worried about? Or is it just the bone itself?
As a small side note, I was hit on the head pretty hard with a basketball when I was in 7th grade. From what I remember it was around that area. It hit me so hard I chipped my tooth. But I don't remember if it was there before or after that happened. What do you think this may be? Thanks!
hello !

sorry 4 distrubance as i saw u helped puneeta spo i am replying u with my prob , maim  ui have clacification in my brain (a layar of white thing dense) i had a MRI and also CT scan , and i came to know when i was attacked by ( u can say parrellized ) but not as full my mouth was sturk and suddenly i stoped  speaking now i have same prob with my voice i couldnt really speak , i struck in disscussion  in a while . so tell me how to over come my voice as well how to control my  clacifoication on vbrain , do u suggest many medicine , if u can give me ur email id i can  produce every data about my illness or disability . thanx u can reply me if u cant help me so refere me to any  one else
Hello, I'm new here and I have a quick question. My doctor told me after looking at a CT scan of my head that I have some calcification on the left side of my brain. This scares me to say the least, I Have always been a healthy person and besides an apendectomy I've never been in the hospital or had any serious injury (thank god). He told me that it doesn't look like a tumor or anything but he wants to get a MRI with contrast. It looks like calcification is a very common word and a very vague one. Any thoughts on what level of scared i should be? :(
hi
My brother have a calcific spot in his brain  doctor said that there is no need to worry, He  suggest to take Eptoin 100 tablet for his whole life
he got a fit problem a once in three year his whole body is sprain while he had fit problem.

ct scan report says: Well defined calcific dencity lesion is seen in the right parieto occipital region

need help or mail me ***@****