Neurology Expert Forum
Brain Cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Brain Cyst

Hi all, just posting as i found out today that i have a brain cyst, i had an MRI 3 weeks ago on the NHS, am so glad that i finally have some answers after over a year of pain and generally feeling pretty awful!!
I don't have much information yet as i have to wait another week or so to see my doctor.
I was wondering what the usual treatment is for cysts, this is obviously causing me symptoms - headache, dizzyness, nausea and visual problems, so i am assuming it won't just be left alone???
Can someone give me some idea as to what comes next???

Thanks Twinkle x
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Several types of cysts occur in the brain. Not all cysts are dangerous, and not all cysts need to be removed.

One type of cyst is an arachnoid cyst. Our brain is covered by a layer of tissue called the meninges. This layer of tissue is made up of 3 layers, one of which is called the arachnoid. An arachnoid cyst is a developmental cyst that occurs in the arachnoid membrane. They can occur anywhere within the central nervous system (brain or spinal cord) but are most commonly found in the brain. Sometimes, more than one can be found in the same person.

The cause is unclear, but the majority are thought to be developmental: occur as a human develops, present since birth. Secondary arachnoid cysts, cysts occurring from a particular reason, are much less common. They can occur after epidural anesthesia, overdrainage of CSF due to specific draining systems placed for various reasons, or spinal injury or surgery.

Some cysts resolve spontaneously, but most arachnoid cysts remain the same size or increase in size only slightly in adulthood, and others fluctuate over time.  Most arachnoid cysts are asymptomatic and discovered incidentally. However, if symptoms are bothersome (such as seizures, pain, etc), surgery to remove the cyst  may be an option (largely depending on the location, size, and surgeon).

You should continue discussing the cyst with your physician. As I mentioned there are many types of cyst. I only discussed one type.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

I have recently found out that i have a 16mm pineal cyst, i am now not sure what treatment to expect?? I have severe headaches, vertigo and nausea.
Any ideas as to what to expect would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Twinkle