Neurology Community
Brain MRI without contrast for brain tumor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hello, I'd like to ask if MRI without contrast can miss brain tumors, i've been told that contrast is injected only when something is seen on a normal scan to give further detail. I had my mri results reviewed by a radiologist and two neurologists just in case someone failed to spot something, is it safe to assume it's not a tumor? Thanks.
An MRI without contrast should be sufficient to visualize a tumor or neuroma. Contrast is effective in following abnormalities in blood circulation, blockages and insufficiencies. The contrast medium remains primarily in the veins and arteries which display more clearly in the scan. MRI machines come in various forms. The efficiency is measured in "Tesla" units. The older machines are "1 T". The newer machines are "3T". The "3T" machines require less time in the tube, which means less chance of movement.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Anyone?
Hi there!

The doctors are correct, a plain MRI is unlikely to miss tumours and contrasts are only used when a lesion is suspected on a plain film to study its characteristics.
Hope the information is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for the answers.
Dr.

I have had a 3T MRI about 2 years ago before my onset of neuro issues that was tallied up as anxiety. I know worry since my exam (MRI) did not use contrast and perhaps a tumor has grown since then, I have been tested for everything and have heard stories on the web where tumors have grown quickly and been missed without contrast and found on a second MRI with contrast. Was this just a misssed observation on the original MRI for these people or did the contrast have anything to do with it. My fogginess, my memory issues I swear I bug myself to death thinking its a tumor causing these your thoughts for a anxious person : (.
Please replace "I know" with "I now" ; ) Please be as thorough with your response as possible so I do not bother you : )
anyone?
you can ask your dr to check for pseudotumor cerebri it has the symptoms of a tumor but no tumor its a spinal fluid build up that causes intracranial pressure the mri and cat scans will be normal if you have it usually an eye dr or spinal tap is used to diagnosis