Neurology Expert Forum
Brain Shrinking

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Brain Shrinking
I am 40 years old male and having some big memory problems and shakey limbs. I have seen a neurologist and he told me that 25% of my brain has shrunk. He has run CT scans from 1999-2003 and he does not know what is causing my problems. Oh I also have had an EEG which came back normal and lots of blood tests. I am on Synthroid for my thyroid and Aricept for my memory, I almost for got I am getting very bad headaches about 3 to 5 times a week. Any help or input is welcomed. Thanks Chas
An extensive workup should be considered for a 40 year old with progressive cognitive decline including an MRI of the brain first and foremost (especially because your doc says that there's been ?"shrinkage". Spinal tap should also be considered. There are a number of neurodegenerative diseases that present with early onset dementia and personality change such as Pick's disease as well as other diseases that are accompanied by movement disorders.  Another important test would be a neuropsychiatric exam to show exactly what you're missing and where you're at right now in terms of cognition. Consider a major academic center for further evaluation. Best of luck.
Thank you :)
A related discussion, My 40 year old brother was recently told that he has brain shrinkage... was started.
A related discussion, Brain Shrinkage was started.