Neurology Expert Forum
Brain Shrinking
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Brain Shrinking

Hi,
I am 40 years old male and having some big memory problems and shakey (shaky) limbs. I have seen a neurologist and he told me that 25% of my brain has shrunk. He has run CT scans from 1999-2003 and he does not know what is causing my problems. Oh I also have had an EEG which came back normal and lots of blood tests. I am on Synthroid for my thyroid and Aricept for my memory, I almost for got I am getting very bad headaches about 3 to 5 times a week. Any help or input is welcomed. Thanks Chas
Related Discussions
An extensive workup should be considered for a 40 year old with progressive cognitive decline including an MRI of the brain first and foremost (especially because your doc says that there's been ?"shrinkage". Spinal tap should also be considered. There are a number of neurodegenerative diseases that present with early onset dementia and personality change such as Pick's disease as well as other diseases that are accompanied by movement disorders.  Another important test would be a neuropsychiatric exam to show exactly what you're missing and where you're at right now in terms of cognition. Consider a major academic center for further evaluation. Best of luck.
2 Comments
Blank
Thank you :)
Blank
Blank
A related discussion, Brain Shrinkage was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank