Brain Stem calcification/ Stroke symptoms
I am a 29 year old woman with some odd symptoms. I went to the ER last night for numbness and tingling on my right side, weakness and feeling off balance. I was given a head CT and it initially showed a bleed in the brain stem, they told me I had a stroke and I was lucky to be alive.

I was admitted to the ICU and scheduled to be evaluated by the Neurologist and Neurosurgeon the next morning, as well have a MRI and MRA. That was done and they then determined that it was a calcification on the brain stem and NOT a stroke.

They then determined that I am having "Complicated Migraines" ( I have a history of classic migraines) and put me on daily asiprin therapy and Topamax. They will repeat the CT in 4 weeks to see where things stand with regards to the "calcification".

I am a little confused. All of my tingling is still there (actually getting worse), I have constant headaches and am always fatigued. I get muscle weakness on a daily basis. I am having a hard time believing that the calcification has nothing to do with it. My initial thoughts when I first had something similar happen last year, was MS. MRI showed now lesions.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Hello.

The brainstem has different parts. The nerve fibers from the cerebellum cross to the other side in the brainstem. And cerebellum is the major organ for balance and equilibrium.

Can you mention if you know the exact location of the calcification in the brainstem ? (midbrain, pons or medulla). The site will determine if the calcification is significant or not.

Have you had a childbirth recently ? Brainstem calcification is associated with prenatal ischemic injury to the brainstem.

Regards

Thank you very much for your response. I am not sure where the calcification was found, I will be sure to ask when I go in for the follow-up. I am feeling significantly worse today. Lightheaded, and weak. I am really not sure what to make of it all.

My last birth was 27 months ago. I have had 3 children in the last 6 years. No complications with the exception of my last pregnancy, gestational diabetes.
I found out today the calcification is located on the pons.

I still have all of my symptoms. Now my arms and legs are burning at night and keeping me awake. I am going to find a new Neurologist as the one I saw today dismissed my symptoms to stress without even examining me or ordering any further tests.
Hi I was just reading your post and couldnt believe the similarities of mine. I am 38 female and still searching for answers its been 5 months now but I am hoping to get some answers next week after an MRI of the cerebral cord(spinal cord).  My tingling, weakness etc is getting much worse, all left sided.   I thought MS as well but because my first MRI showed nothing they dismissed it immediately.  Dont give up please find another neurologist and research as much as  you can.  Keep a diary or notes of exactly what is happening you.  The more precise and exact you can be with your symptoms the better.  Try to think of triggers, what you were doing just before you noticed the symptoms etc, write it all down.
I wish you well with your search and hope you find another neurologist.  It must have been very scary for you, I know I was very scared when it first happen to me.
Good luck
Sonaya
Sorry! My daughter has the calcium encircling the Pineal Gland, in fact it has apparently replaced the gland. She is going to UCDavis on the 10th of January for a consultation.
God bless and I hope you get better.
Hello.

I am sure you got the calcification as a result of one of the childbirths. It may not be evident at that time. But there's no point in wondering when it happened.

Good luck with your second opinion.

Regards
I too have been diagnosed with brain stem calcification.  I have been fighting since October 2006 for the Dr's to determine what if any problems this may be causing.  Symptoms include swollen eyelid which has led to eyelid drooping all the time with flair ups of swelling almost closed, headaches, clumsiness, weakness, fatigue, vision problems, and the one I get laughed at about all the time is the electrical surges I feel in my head.  Just started with a new DR so I hope she can help me figure out what the problem is.  Good luck on finding out what problems if any your calcification is causing.
Hello.

How are you symptoms now ? Have been able to see a second neurologist ?

Regards
I, too have calcinosis of the brain but it is located in the cerebellum. The only symptom I have thus far is slurred speech. My neurologist said it was idiopathic calcinosis of the brain and it is slowly progressive. I am 60 and female
I am a 54 year old female and was admitted to the hospital on the 6 August 2009 with numbness and weakness to the right side.  At first it was thought I had suffered a TIA but a CT scan the next day revealed either a possibility of calification of the brain or a meningioma brain tumour.  I was told that I would have an MRI the next day this never happened but I was told it could wait until the 10 September 2009.  As I was not prepared to wait I paid to have this done privately and have received an inconclusive report.  The neurologist I have seen has told me it is 'incidental' and does not seem to be prepared to do any further investigations.  Any thoughts on what I should do next?
My father is in his early 70s.  He was diagnoased with calcification of the brain...cellebrum and and debilitating symptoms are showing most significant slurred speech, gait, clumsiness.  Am prepared to do what it takes to at least improve his quality of life.  Am devastated. Anybody with ideas....