Neurology Expert Forum
Brain Tumor/Frontal Lobe Syndrome
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Brain Tumor/Frontal Lobe Syndrome

My dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor two yrs. ago, and subsequently underwent surgery to have as much of it remove as possible.  This was followed by both radiation & chemotherapy.  He now has developed a brain tumor on his frontal lobe. (I'm sorry, I do not know the specific name for his tumor)  The decision has not been made whether or not to do surgery, or see if chemotherapy will cause the tumor to shrink.  I don't understand the reasoning for this as they were so quick to perform surgery with the first tumor. His current treatment for this new tumor is Interferon injections 3x's per week.  His behavior has become increasingly innappropriate, and he at times becomes beligerant and non-cooperative with all members of the family.  I have done some research, and think that this is probably normative for someone who is likely to be suffering from Frontal Lobe Sydrome as this is the location of the tumor.  He is also an insulin-dependent diabetic and has recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea although, because of his increasingly irratic behavior, is non-compliant with the regimens prescribed for both of these diseases.
  He sees a Neurologist regarding his brain tumor, and recently started to see a new General Practitioner for his diabetes.  Today, the GP prescribed Rezulin for his increasingly elevated blood sugar, and Risperdal for his behavior and I'm not sure if his Neurologist is aware of these new meds.  What is known about the use of Risperdal in patients with a Frontal Lobe Tumor?  Also, could his worsening behaviour be solely blamed on Frontal Lobe Syndrome or is this an indication of perhaps Interferon Toxicity?  I don't know of anyone who has had a tumor in this particular location, and I wonder if the changes in his personality are normal, and if so, how long do the side-effects of this type of tumor last?