Brain aneurysm?
Hi there
I was hoping that maybe someone might be able to help me...
For the past fourteen months, I've had extremely severe headaches. Some days I'd wake up with them, and others they would develop throughout the day. For the past month or so, I've been experiencing the headaches much more frequently and they are much more painful. I have become extremely sensitive to light and it has now got to the point where even moving my head would cause unbearable pain. Painkillers, paracetomol and ibroprofen do not help in the slightest - they just make me feel more nautious. I am also experiencing fatigue, nausea, memory loss, loss of balance, stiff neck, stiff joints in the right hand, dizziness, dilated pupils and a constant faint-feeling. I had an MRI scan a few weeks ago, which showed up normal. However, I did not have any contrast injections or anything. I've had a blood test since then which has also shown up normal. I am starting to get impatient - I'm not sure whether I can deal with any more waiting around and false hope! Are there any other methods that may be effective in finding out what is wrong? Perhaps a CT scan? I am wondering if I perhaps have an aneurysm - what do you think? Thank you.
By all means get the CT with contrast. If anything it will ease your mind. I have Fibromyalgia and was having some real bad headaches and quite by accident they found a 6mm brain anyurism on my interior cartorid artery. My neuro doc said many people have them and they need no treatment but I have to go once a year and have the CT to make sure there are no changes. Please insist on all the tests you want to ease your mind and be thourogh.  Hugs, Teri
CT (computerized tomography) scan of the head will show a subarachnoid hemorrhage in more than 90% of cases of ruptured aneurysm. In the few cases that are not recognized by CT, the healthcare provider may consider performing a lumbar puncture (LP, or spinal tap) to identify blood in the cerebrospinal fluid that runs in the subarachnoid space.
If the CT or the LP reveals the presence of blood, angiography is performed to identify where the aneurysm is located and to plan treatment. Angiography (angio=artery +graphy= picture) is a procedure in which a small flexible tube is threaded into one of the brain's arteries, and dye is injected while pictures are taken. Newer technology allows angiography to be done in association with CT or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
Though the symptoms may suggest a brain aneurysm, other diagnoses may need to be considered. Migraine headache, meningitis, tumor, and stroke all may cause neurologic symptoms. Based on the patient's presentation, the healthcare provider will need to decide which tests and studies to use to establish the correct diagnosis. Please consult a neurologist for the diagnosis and management . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !