Brain atrophy in my baby
My waters broke at 26 weeks, i managed to hold on to my son until 32 weeks where i started bleeding as my placenta was coming away. I had a emergency c-section. 4 weeks later we was allowed to bring him home. A couple of weeks later we realised he wouldnt focus on anything. Long story short we thought he was blind. We took him to the eye specialist who said he has Nystagmus and couldnt say any more until a MRI was done. Recently my sons vision has gotten better and he can defiantly see but not sure how much. My question is that we had the MRI results today in a letter form, and it said that there was nothing in the MRI to show why the nystagmus is there, but it said there is a 'mild degree of atropy which refers to a degree of thinning of the brain substance, as the result of which the fluids based within the brain appear slightly expanded'. Please can someone tell me what this could or could not mean for my son. PLease (My son is 10 months old)
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your son. The degree of deficit will vary with the area of atrophy and many other associated parameters. Some improvement may occur with time butt he degree of improvement will depend on the lesions. You need to discuss this in detail with a pediatric neurologist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.