Neurology Community
Brain mri

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Brain mri

I had an mri that showed a white matter signal abnormality in the right periventricular region adjacent to the frontal horn of the lateral ventricle this measures 4mm my symptoms are tingling and numbness in my left hand and left side of mouth double and blurred vision and dizzy spells I have prothrombin gene mutation could this be a slight stroke as stroke is very prevalent in my family also on the same mri i had unusually hypointense t1 marrow signl of the calvaium and the calvarium seems thickened on skull x-rays they did not see any lyetic and sclerotic lesions does this negate the marrow problem
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. The neurological symptoms of tingling and numbness mouth double and blurred vision and dizzy spells, white matter signal abnormality in the brain are suggestive of multiple sclerosis and needs a detailed check. Multiple sclerosis is a chronic demyelinating neurological disorder where the disease phase is characterized by active phase and remissions. It has multiple symptoms and signs and is a diagnosis of exclusion. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness in any area, problems with walking and coordination, tremors in one or more arms and legs. Bowel and bladder symptoms include frequency of micturition, urine leakage, eye symptoms like double vision uncontrollable rapid eye movements, facial pain, painful muscle spasms, tingling, burning in arms or legs, depression, dizziness, hearing loss, fatigue etc. You have many of these symptoms. The treatment is essentially limited to symptomatic therapy so the course of action would not change much whether MS has been diagnosed or not. Apart from clinical neurological examination, MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination, two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain locations. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons, transmit nerve signals slower than non-demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. Slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI and a spinal tap.  The calvaria hypointense and lytic lesions need to be investigated by your neurosurgeon. Take care.