Neurology Expert Forum
Brain nutrition

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Brain nutrition

I am a hydrocephalus patient with a shunt which carries the CSF from the lateral ventricles to my tummy.
There is a very low pressure 10 (mm.water) shunt valve available which will make me a lot more comfortable.
However I am concerned that the nutritional values are missed out on for my brain, because the CSF is taken out of the brain's ventricles.  

What is your opinion on this?

sluyter.***@****
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

You are correct in stating that the CSF provides the brain with essential nutrients, and you are also correct in stating that the VP shunt does remove CSF from around the brain into the belly. However, though this fluid is being removed, cells in the ventricles, called the choroid plexus, are constantly making fluid as well and releasing it into the ventricles/subarachnoid space, so that at any one point in time, the entire brain and spinal cord is still bathed in CSF, even though the VP shunt is removing fluid as well. In someone without a VP shunt, the fluid is absorbed into veins and back into the blood, we are constantly removing our CSF and forming new CSF, so the brain will continue to receive all the necessary nutrients.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.