Neurology Expert Forum
Brain nutrition
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Brain nutrition

I am a hydrocephalus patient with a shunt which carries the CSF from the lateral ventricles to my tummy.
There is a very low pressure 10 (mm.water) shunt valve available which will make me a lot more comfortable.
However I am concerned that the nutritional values are missed out on for my brain, because the CSF is taken out of the brain's ventricles.  

What is your opinion on this?

sluyter.***@****
Related Discussions
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

You are correct in stating that the CSF provides the brain with essential nutrients, and you are also correct in stating that the VP shunt does remove CSF from around the brain into the belly. However, though this fluid is being removed, cells in the ventricles, called the choroid plexus, are constantly making fluid as well and releasing it into the ventricles/subarachnoid space, so that at any one point in time, the entire brain and spinal cord is still bathed in CSF, even though the VP shunt is removing fluid as well. In someone without a VP shunt, the fluid is absorbed into veins and back into the blood, we are constantly removing our CSF and forming new CSF, so the brain will continue to receive all the necessary nutrients.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank