Neurology Expert Forum
Brain tumour help??

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Brain tumour help??

I was wondering if I would be able to play a guitar with a brain tumour?

I do play guitar however I have been having a lot of migraines that last nearly all day and some fuzzy feelings in my head on top of that, along with that I have a light weakness in both my arms. I heard something about occipital nerve or something and hopefully will be going to doctors about it on Monday. Any ideas what it might be? I'm 18 years old male with no family history of tumours but my grandma apparently had migraines and she had an aneurysm! i'm getting worried about my health to be honest... No other symptoms however. could it just be a pinched nerve

In addition my work revolves around computer programs, and I wear my glasses which does not help.

hope to have a quick response!

thank you in advance!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Many times brain tumors are found incidentally or found because of symptoms leading to its discovery with appropriate workup. Headaches do not necessarily mean you have a brain tumor (however, brain tumors can cause headaches). If you are not known to have headaches, being evaluated by a neurologist would be a good idea.

You mentioned the occipital nerve. I am wondering if you are talking about a form of headache called occipital neuralgia. Occipital neuralgia is caused by irritation or injury to one of two nerves (or both) that run from the upper neck to the back of the head. The irritation could be due to neck trauma, pinching of the nerves (by muscles or arthritis), and other causes. Symptoms include a piercing sharp pain that travels from the upper neck to the back of the head and behind the ears. It is usually a one sided pain but can be on both sides of the head. Treatment includes physical therapy, medications, and in some cases injections, "nerve blocks", during which a physician injects the irritated nerves with an anesthetic.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.