Neurology Community
Brief, severe spatial disorientation
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Brief, severe spatial disorientation

There is this weird thing that happens to me sometimes- it is a complete lack of spatial orientation that lasts for just a few seconds.  The last time it happened was yesterday.  I was walking to the bathroom at work, when suddenly this feeling of disorientation came over me and I couldn't remember how to get to the bathroom.  I literally could not figure it out- I was thinking, "Did I come the wrong way?  Where is the bathroom?"  I stood in place about 5 seconds or so until it passed, at which point I realized that I was standing RIGHT in FRONT of the bathroom- I mean I could literally see it less than 10 feet in front of me.  

This kind of thing happens fairly frequently (about once every couple weeks or less).  Or, for example, I might be in the car, at an intersection, and I suddenly can't figure out which direction I need to look in to see if it is safe to go.  I can see the cars, but I can't figure out the direction they are traveling relative to the direction I want to turn, and I have NO idea how to figure out when I can go.  Again, it lasts just a few seconds, but it is a very odd feeling (and I guess potentially dangerous, since it happens when driving).  I actually have a nonverbal learning disability, so that I have trouble with visuospatial processing and memory anyway, but this total lack of orientation is definitely different from my normal getting-lost or getting-turned-around.  At least when I am lost, I can still see what is in front of me and make spatial judgments.  Could this be some kind of weird seizure?

I should mention that when it happens I don't feel dizzy, or any other kind of unusual sensation.  It's just that I lose all sense of where I am, where things around me are, and how to get where I want to go.  There is no history of epilepsy in my family though.  I also don't have any neuro issues except the nonverbal learning disability and Chronic Motor Tic Disorder.  The only other weird thing I used to get is that when I was a teenager (I'm 25 now), I used to sometimes get a strong burning feeling in my leg, localized to a small area, almost like an itch but so intense that it burned, and then a few seconds later my leg would jerk very strongly.  I remember one time it happened when my teacher was checking my homework paper, and my leg jerked and bumped my whole desk up- so embarrassing!  But that at least doesn't happen anymore.  Any thoughts?  Thank you for any responses.