Neurology Community
Brief blackouts, dizziness, headaches, visual disturbance

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I hope someone, especially a doctor, could give me some ideas on what might be going on with my 43 year-old husband.  I was just told less then a month ago that for many years, he periodically gets these sudden quick blackouts that last for about a second.  He says there's a very brief moment of missing time, and he almost passes out but it happens so fast that he can catch himself and he feels very dizzy right after.  I had never noticed it, but it's happenning more often now and I have witnessed a few recently.  At first when he told me, I thought they might be absense seizures, but now that I've seen I really don't think they are.  Besides this, he's often fatigued, wakes up with horrible headaches with pain in the back of his head and neck, he's having dizziness and balance problems, there are times when he has "kaleidoscope" vision and sometimes when reading his eyes have a rapid back and forth movement.  He is also having episodes of weakness and numbness in his arms.  I think what he has is more then just a simple migraine, as the headache seems to be every day now.  He's had the pains in the back of his head since he was a child, it has just gotten worse.

Somebody please help!  
Hello.

His symptoms may resemble some symptoms of migraine. Ocular migraine should also be considered here. But these are just the initial differentials. He may have these symptoms due to some ischemic events in the brain. Have his blood pressure checked. Please consult an ophthalmologist and a neurologist. An MRI of the brain will also help detect any such ischemic events.

Regards
Thank you for the response, Dr. Deshmukh.  Yes, his primary doctor did diagnose him with ocular migraines several months ago.  His blood pressure and all labs looked great.  At that time he was not having the blackouts as bad, and he has never actually told anyone until recently.  I hope that's all it is, is a migraine.  We'll see what the neuro says.  Thanks again.
I was recently diagnosed with Pseudotumor cerebri. I doesnt mean you hava brain tumor. It means there is to much spinal fluid circulating in thbrain. I found this out  when i went to and eye doctor app and they dialated my pupils and told me that i had papilledema which can only be diagnosed through that. papilledema is when all your optic nerves are swollen all his symptoms sound just like mine you might want to consider asking the doc about this is should be taken very seriously.
I had severe headaches as a child and now seem to be getting them again, not nearly as frequent as then, but disturbing nonetheless.  But tonight is different.  I felt a strange rush up the side of my head, almost as if it might be fluid??? , and then I didn't know what happened for a few seconds, maybe more, because my fiancee actually yelled my name and I don't remember any conversation or anything before that for several seconds.  I'm really scared and probably won't tell him until I have more answers.  I wouldn't want to make him nervous over nothing.  I think I blacked out ?? and shortly thereafter a pretty severe headache started.  my sight is blurry right now as I read this too.  I'm fatigued a lot as well, but I also do a lot in a day.  Please help!
Kim
I've been having those quick blackouts too. the last a second and everything goes black.but then just as quick as it came it comes back. then i start to have head aches too. i want to have a check up but my mom says i dont have insurance so i cant see a doctor. i hope its nothing to serious. but from wat i've read here it sounds like it could be a major problem. If any light comes up on those quick blackouts, would it be possible to fill me in about them? Please and thank you.
You might consider cluster headaches. A lot of the symptoms your husband is experiencing are mentioned in this website:

http://www.righthealth.com/topic/Fainting_And_Headache/overview/wiki_detailed?modp=Cluster_headache
I just had one today. After 4 hours of non-stop gameboy playing, I decided to just start my exercise. After 5 seconds of walking, my mind just started feeling numb, and then my vision became blurry, then I stumbled backwards. My body tumbled over and my spine hit a counter edge. My dad was pissed off at me for knocking something over, then he felt sympathetic because I said I just blacked out. Now that he's told my mom, she got as worried as if I was possessed by the devil. She says it's my diet, but it's highly unlikely, because I had the blackouts every year before the diet.
Read up on Autonomic disorders.  The blackouts can be due to migraine but also can be due to blood pressure issues.  When you stand up: your pulse may rise dramatically or your blood pressure may drop dramatically. Both can cause these episodes because your blood is not moving to the right parts of your body fast enough.

Take your pulse lying down.  Then stand and take your pulse again.  The same with your blood pressure: take it lying down, then take it standing.  This is a simple form of test.  The actual test done by a doctor would be a Tilt Table Test.

Autonomic disorders can cause a multitude of symptoms because the autonomic system controls blood pressure,  heart rate, digestive system, etc.

It is very hard to find a doctor who knows about autonomic disorders.  Most Neurologists know very little about it.  Go to Dyna kids for a list of doctors that are specialist in this.  We have been through a enormous amount of testing and variety of specialists to find out what is causing my teenage daughter's symptoms (which include what you guys are naming plus a lot more).  We finally have a partial diagnosis of POTS (Postural Autonomic Tachycardia Syndrome) and autonomic neuropathy.  We had to go to a clinic 10 hrs away in Dallas to get the final diagnosis.
I have blackouts that occur very often. It starts with a light fuzziness that leads to a blackout that can last anywhere from 2mins to 20 minutes. I was diagnosed with slight epilespy as a kid but have not had an episode since. I do have low blood pressure but I've been told it's because I was an athlete growing up? Any advice?

maegan
i dont think an mri would do him any good causes ive been getting the same thing only they last for a least 5 mins and i still feel lightheaded and dizzy afterwards i'll be standing at work and i'll start getting lightheaded and dizzy then everything thing starts to get dark then it all goes black and i have to go sit down but recently that hasn't been working very well either and i cant eat anything and the doctors cant find anything wrong with me ive had an mri, eeg, ekg and blood work done and they all come back normal the only thing i havent been to is the Neurologists
If your husband has not already figured out what is wrong you may want to look into Chiari Malformation.  Sounds familar.
I have had many of the symptons the first person here speaks about but I don't have headaches with it.  The dizziness comes, like everyone else says, quickly and lasts for a few seconds but the sensation is like being on a fair ground ride that pushes you to the wall or in this case to the floor and you can't stop it.  I can have the dizziness even when I don't move.  For example this morning when I woke up, before I opened my eyes, I turned my head to the side and I knew it was going to be one of those days that I would have it all day.  When I tried to get out of bed that feeling of being forced to the floor came over me and I stumbled into the wall trying to stop myself from falling.  It first happened in 1991 and I was sitting on the couch, leaning on my hand with my legs to the side of me.  I turned my head to look to the left and I blacked out for a millisecond.  It happened so fast that I didn't mention it to anyone.  Then a few days later I was walking up the stairs with my ironing and my son was walking towards me and I just fell to the ground and stood straight up again saying I was fine while he was panicking about me 'fainting' as he thought.  It has happened on and off through the years and I don't have headaches before during or after it.  I have had it too long to worry that it's a tumor or something as sinister but it is definitely not a normal thing and I would like to know if there is a name for it and a cure.  It is a bit worrying to other people who don't know what's wrong with me when I suddenly fall over and get up again like it never happened.  I don't know what to tell people and I worry that someone may call for an ambulance when I'm out if it happens.  Any kind of clues would be great as my gp doesn't know.  Thanks guys.
I've been havin something very similar, I blackout occassional, constant headaches, dizziness, blurred vision and more recently loss of hearing. Ive been like this for almost 2 years now and I've had blood work done, ecg, mri, cat scan u name it they've tried and they still cant figure it out. It startin to control my like now as am affraid to things with my 3 year old son alone incase I blackout. If anyone here has any idea of what this could be I would love to hear. Thank you
I am NOT a doctor but we have all been in your shoes.  1st the easiest test, and most doctors don't even think about doing it, is to check for blood pressure issues.  Take blood pressure and pulse laying down, then stand and take blood pressure pulse standing.  An autonomic problem will show either abnomality in the BP or Pulse due to the change in position.  We all have had every bloodwork possible, MRI's, MRA's, Spinal taps, EEG, EKG, etc. only to have all of those test come out normal.  Autonomic problems can cause all of your symptoms and checking pulse & BP laying and standing will identify an autonomic issue that can then be verified with a Tilt Table Test

There are many other things that can cause your issues but this test is too easy to not do to rule in or out an autonomic problem.
im a 32 year old woman with high blood pressure ,my doctor gave me antideppressing tablets 3 days ago but today i had i blackout with no vision i was so scared it lasted 6 seconds i was driveing at the time.iv had these bad migranes (migraines) for two weeks neck acke eyes hurt  pains in my left hand .please can u give some advise or ans thank you.
My wife experiences nausea, then dizziness, usually passes out and loses her eye vision for 30sec to a minute. Then most times she has no energy and gets a headache which usually turns into a migraine which last for days. She's been to numerous specialist with no solid explanation. They think she has Neurally Mediated Hypotension, and the only thing that seems to help is she eats extremely healthy. No junk food, processed meats; anything unhealthy seems to make it worse. Not that eating healthy helps her completely, but it does help.
hi i am soo happy that i am not alone in this.
i am a 26 year old mom of 4 and i have been suffering from this for over 14 years now.
i was 12 when i  had my first black out, i went blind for about 20 minutes, since then i would get extremely dizzy, get blurred vision (or visual total black outs), faint at times, and i am also suffering from low blood pressure. 2 years ago i got hurt very badly, i fell down the stairs during a dizzy spell, 5 metres, then i hit my head against a concrete wall and had a fracture in my temporal bone. i have never been so afraid since then. nowadays i am dizzy all day, every day. i am very weak, and dont know what it could be. about an hour ago i passed out again, i'm waiting for my husband to come home, to take me to a&e. i am tired of this, and hoping for an answer. if any of you have an diagnosis, please let me know.
My daughter started with the vision blackouts at 13 yrs old.  She is now 19 and has too many symptoms to count.  The only way that we got a diagnosis was to go to a specialty autonomic clinic 10 hrs away from our home.  They diagnosed her with POTS (Postural Orthostaic Tachycardia Syndrome) which is a form of Dysautonomia.  Go to dynakids(dot)org or dinet(dot)org for the best info on disorders of the Autonomic Nervous System.  The (dot) is because they don't always let us put in websites.
im only 23 had blackouts /  headaches ever since i was a child. About 3 years ago it was gettin really bad in the service, when to the doctor, they found a syst. after they had it removed i havent had any blackouts or headaches since. Not sure if that helps just saying it....
Has he had an mri of the brain to rule out chiari malformation?
I am 20, since I was a kid I've had crazy migraines. Today was different though... i was driving, I thought that it was gettting kindod gloomy out but no one else thought so... about 30 mins later i actully blacked out... while driving. luckily i pulled over safely. after came a very terrible headache, took some excedrine but not much help. the migraine calmed but has flarred back up ahain. any inpt? &excuse the grammr and misplelings, im doin my best right now.

I have been facing this problem since childhood. There is an increase in the heartbeat first and then some continuous beep in the year followed by a black out and falling down. After a few seconds or maybe minutes I wake up feeling a bit cold full of sweat and I feel light headed with a very little ackword relaxing pain in the back of the neck. Please suggest what is the erason for it and what actually is this !!?? Any recommendations or remidies would be appriciated.
I am a 15 year old girl and I hav those same symptoms!! I dont kno why tho :/ help plz
I was in Iraq when I was wounded and I have the same syptoms (symptoms) plus other problems. I am going to a poly-trauma center to see if they can fiqure out what is going on. Two days ago at the gym I work-out at I was dizzy then black out, seems to happen on different times but blacking out at the gym was the sraw that broke the back.

Captain Parrson
Im 13, and now Im so glad I know Im not alone in this, Ive been to the emergency room 2 with this and to the doctor 21 times with this. First I can be laying down and I stand up, then the dizzyness starts and then right after that I get black outs thats like Im seeing though a straw and sometimes not ever that and then a rush of pain shoots up in my head and pain strains in my eyes. No one can tell me what it is so if your reading this PLEASE HELP Im so sick of the pain this has been going on about 5 or 6 times a day maybe more for about 4 years now. :(
Hi I am 22 years old and I have a 2 yr old after I had him I started having major migraines I would black out an get super dizzy.  Over the years they have gotten worse an I can't stand it I just feel nauscious and sleepy it's hard for me because I want to be able to play with my son and I am also in school for phlebotamy. I am on no medications and I eat pretty healthy I weigh 106 pds. I also got a series of tests done and thy all came back fine so I really don't know what to do will someone please help?
my husband is 47 has headaches sometimes cant see for a second and he had a headache yesterday which has left him with a black eye feeling lightheaded on times
My husband is 32 and has been having severe migraine for about 5 years. Recently they have been getting worse and he doesn't blackout to the point of faint but almost spaces out. His eyes are open like the lights are on but no ones home. They usually are followed by extreme pain from a headache. He's been prescribed a blood pressure medication, pain management medication to control them day to day. However they have been getting worse and the spaces outs are happening more often. We had to go to the ER last night because he just could control the pain and started vomiting on top of it all. Any ideas? I think an injury he had about 2 months before the headaches has something to do with it. He fell 14 feet about of a tree stand on his back. No injuries besides whiplash according the doctor and the MRI. The migraines started about 2 months after the fall.
I'm 17 and today I got up this morning had a cigarette and came in and sat down I then got up and felt a bit sick I was leaving for work and within 2 mins I was drenched with sweat on my forehead. I got outside stood there and blacked out all I could see was tiny little lights which were the lampposts I then fell to the ground and started gagging I then was sick once and when I felt more balanced I got up but I couldn't walk I was dizzy but then I was fine 10 mins after does anyone know what this could be? Need help am so scared? Holly  
I have all of these things. I was just diagnosed with a Pineal lesion. Look into it, the Pineal cysts are quite common, but it could be large enough to block his CSF. The eye symptoms are nystagmus...

Check into this. It is a very confusing thing to experience and can take a long time to get a proper answer.

Get a second opinion. He will require an MRI.
I'm a 16 year old and Im very fit and outgoing. I don't drink alcohol or smoke. Yesterday I got out of the shower and started to make my breakfast when I started to feel dizzy and my vision came blurred so I made my way to my table quickly and sat down. I blacked out and only remember waking up to my mam and dad trying to talk to me and ring an ambulance. I got a slight pain in the back of my head when I came around and I started shaking and I was soaked with sweat. The day before I had a high temperature no energy and a pain in my chest when I took deep breaths. This is the second time in a month this happened. Can somebody please help me with some advice.
I also want to know if someone may be able to help me with letting me know if my symptoms are serious enough to see a doctor bc i have no health insurance. I am a tall woman, 6'1, and all my life i would sometimes get a "head rush" if i stood up too fast or got up from a low area. Well over the past few years the "head rushes" have happened more often. over this last year i basically blackout for a few seconds when standing up, feel very dizzy as i stand and after the blackout, and very rapid breathing and i have to hold something so i do not fall and i also have to bend over some to be able to catch my breath. It also happens if i just have to talk very loud. I have also had headache issues my whole life and over the past 3 years i have numbness/tingling in my fingers and toes and my toes also stay a bluish color most of the time. Im worried bc im a stay at home mom with two young children and its to the point where i cant stand very long or even play with them much. I am only 26 and never really had any health issues until having children. I was only diagnosed with exercise induced asthma at age 11 and sometimes my iron gets low but not very often. Can someone please help or point me into sometype of direction. I am also a CMA and i dont know what could be wrong with my combination of symptoms. Thank you in advance.
Also with my last comment, my memory is already getting bad. I get confused, lose concentration easily and cannot remember things that had just happened or may have happened awhile back. My husband and my whole family is very worried.but i cannot go to a doctor unless absolutely necessary.
I have been having the EXACT same thing, except I'm only 14.
I stand up, everything goes blurry or black, and I lose feeling in my legs.
Sometimes I pass out for about 5 minutes, other times I just sit down and it goes away shortly.
My mom is unemployed, and doesn't have insurance to get me checked, but neither of us know what it could be.
My daughter's issues started at 13. She is now 21.  Check to see if your state has a medical program for low income families.  Louisiana has Kidmed that covers 100% for children in low income families. Try to get a Tilt Table Test done first or ask the doctor to do the "poor man's test".  Take blood pressure and heart rate while lying down, then take again when standing.  It may be an autonomic nervous system disorder.  The tilt table test will help determine that.  My daughter started with temporary blindness 15-20 times a day.  Within minutes of standing, she would lose her vision because her blood pressure would plummet and her heart rate would dramatically increase upon upright movement.  When someone stands up their blood goes to their feet due to gravity but it is supposed to immediately be pushed back up to the heart and other parts of the body.  With an autonomic disorder, the blood remains in the feet for longer than it should which deprives the rest of the body (temporarily) of blood causing the pre-faint episodes.  Also a problem is standing still for a few minutes or extended walking.  Search dynakids or dinet for lots of info on this.
Alright(:
Thank you!
hey please feel me up on this because i have those type of problem too ... it started about two years ago and i cant just figure what is wrong with me . at first i thought it might go away but now it gotten to the point where i cant control them so please shoot me a e mail at ***@**** thanx !!!
I have a 17 year old daughter who has been sick for two years.  She lost 20 lbs within 4 weeks we have been to every doctor, they have examined the inside and outside of every inch of her body and still come back and tell me that they don't know what it is.  She misses work and school sometimes because she doesn't feel good.  She says that her vision gets blurry, she knows that she is there but feels like she is somewhere else (hope that makes since), she fells dizzy, gets sick to her stomach and sometimes completely blacks out.  Her friends are aware that it might happen so they watch her quite well.  Her eys roll to the back of her head and she goes completly limp.  Please tell me if anyone has every experienced this and might know where I can start.
Well I have similar episodes. I am a 20 year old female. When I was 13 the neurologist diagnosed me when absence seizures. He told me that I was suppose to grow out of them but I still have similar events and now he is unsure of what these "EVENTS" are. Can somebody please help me?When I am under a lot of pressure, stressed or when I don't get enough rest or just randomly I have these brief moments usually just a couple of seconds maybe 3-15 seconds were I will black out. Most of the times I can't hear anything, can't feel anything, nor can I see anything. I have mild headaches that can last for hours and sometimes I get sharp pains on the side of my head and on the front of my head but they don't last that long maybe between 15-30 seconds. I do get dizzy from time to time but rarely it gets to the point were I'm about to fall or faint. My speech sometimes get jumbled up but when I read I have a hard time concentrating and understanding what I read. It seems as if my eyes jump sometimes but my vision is good.  I don't have high/low blood pressure so what could the problem be?
My daughter is 20 and is experiencing headaches, blurriness then loss of vision and blackouts, occasionally she has vomitting prior.  I have a her to the emergency room three times and they find nothing.  This time (which was just tonight) they referred her to a neurologist and cardiologist.  Her hair is also falling out when she washes or brushes it, not just a little but big handfuls.  She had seizures as a child and I am wondering if she is not having them now.  Last night she got a pain in her head, blurred vision and then passed out, she fell into the street and now has cuts and bruises on her legs and arms.  Anyone that has any ideas or suggestions please let me know.  Thank you so much and God bless you all.
I have been having some of those symptoms myself. I have been having those symptoms for almost a year now. It was even a time within the year that my eyes rolled to the back of my head and I blacked out. Don't really know what's wrong with me any advice.

On the night of one episode. I went to bed with swollen eye, body tremors, shaky hands, serve headache, and dizziness.  I had trouble getting to sleep that night. When I finely feel asleep. It was around 12:00 AM. I don't remember dreaming while asleep. After a couple of hours. I remember waking up around 3:15 AM. However, I had trouble getting back to sleep.

While lying awake in bed. I think that I had some type of black out. Because I didn't remember what happen while I was awake around that time. All I remembered was my eyes rolling to the back of my head and seeing black. When I woke up the next morning. I felt like my eyes had been rolled to the back of me head for a long period of time. I had no memory of what happen that night after I blacked out. On the other hand.

I was no longer dizzy, my hands and body was no longer shaking, and my headache was almost completely gone. I actually felt like myself again. However, I still couldn't remember what I dreamed or what I did that night. A few days ago. I had another episode. this episode occurred with blurry vision, headache, weakness, chills, body tremors, dizziness, sleeping, slightly swollen eye lids, and memory lost. I do have a history of grand mal seizures from childhood. Had stopped having them before becoming a teenager. Was taken off meds back then.

Any advice  
I have some of the same symptoms, but mine just happen without the head pain aswell, I just get dizzy and blackout for a couple of seconds. Recently I was going down the stairs and fell off the last 3 steps, I think it was 3 I really don't remembe, all I know was one minute I was on the steps and the next I was on the floor. I wish someone would help, cause I don't have Insurance or employment right now and I can't see a doctor.
Same with me. I don't get headaches, but it only happens when I stand up or start walking after I was sitting.

I'm only 14 but I noticed quite a few of you have added in that these symptoms of yours started at a early age, and I have almost all of these symptoms. Like whenever I stand up I suddenly feel like a bunch of blood is rushing to my head then suddenly the edge of my vision starts to slowly black out, and I'm starting to freak out about it because now when it happens I fall down and feel like my head is about to burst.

Can anyone please recommend what I should do? I've already talked with my doctor about it and they said that I shouldn't worry about it because they're just headaches.