Neurology Community
Bright Yellow Liquid from nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bright Yellow Liquid from nose

Last night I had bright yellow liquid (watery) come out of my right nostril.  I went to the doctor today but they don't know what it is.  I have had clear watery liquid come out before like this but never bright yellow.

Does anyone know what this is?

Hello.

The significance of this watery yello liquid will depend upon some more information. Did you have any respiratory infection recently ?

A common cold may lead to yellow coloured discharge. Just for the information, a head injury may cause what is called as 'csf rhinorrhea'.

Regards

Thank you for responding.  I did have a cold prior to this happening.  My doctor has never heard of this and doesn't seem concerned.  Thank you.

Debbie  

email:  ***@****
Hello.

How is the nasal discharge now ?

Has your doctor prescribed any antibiotics ?

Regards
I haven't had this happen since.  I do have severe reflux and a hiatal hernia.  I am suppose to have surgery but I am trying to find someone who can do it non-invasively.  Might this have something to do with it?  My right side of my face tends to bother me.  I have had a teary right eye for several days.  Sometimes it feels like the right side of my face is droopy.

Thank you for your help.

Debbie
I was just searching this site b/c I also have this yellow watery discharge coming out of my nose and was a little concerned.  Iwas takking Omnifex for a sinus infection but took my last pilll last nite.  It is not mucous but almost like water with yello food coloring.  I feel alot better than I did but am still a little congested.  Any ideas?
Hi.

I apologize for the delay.

Have you been suffering from chronic sinusitis ? Can you confirm whether the right side of the face is actually drooping or you feel as if it is drooping ? If it is actually drooping, you will have to get yourself examined by a neurologist who will look for signs of facial palsy.

You need not worry about the yellow discharge. It was nothing but secretions due to common cold. When the cold continues for a long time, the clear fluid then turns yellow. It is not necessarily a sign of infection .

It is not related to the hiatal hernia and the reflux.

Hope you find the appropriate solution for the hiatus hernia.

Regards

Hello Rebecca.

The yellow discharge from your nose could have been due to infection or chronic common cold. It is common knowledge that infection turns the secretions yellow. But a clear yellow discharge may not necessarily mean infection . Long standing cold can lead to thin yellow discharge.

You should take regular steam inhalation to reduce the congestion.

How are you now ?

Regards  
I've been having sinus problems since I was a child and august of last year i had my tonsils removed and also something called a concha bullosa (air pocket type thing) removed from my right nostril.  Before the surgery my nose occasionally whistled when I took a breathe but it didnt happen very often at all.  Since the surgery it has gotten worse and in the last week sometimes my nose will whistle for hours (its only the right side that whistles)  Today when I woke up my nose felt extremely odd and when i went to go blow it I had typical mucus but with blood.  I never get nosebleeds or ever have any presence of blood in my nose.  Thought it was odd but continued with my day and went to Knott's Berry Farm with my bf.  We were on some ride that flips you upside-down and theres a part where it held us upside-down for quite a while and suddenly I felt a large amount of sever pain and pressure in what seemed to be my right sinus cavity.  Then it flipped us and I felt stuff start to drip out of my nose which I thought must be a nosebleed.  I then touched my nose and when I looked I had a few drops of bright bright yellow watery transparent fluid on my hands.  After this occurred the remainder of my day I've been experiencing discomfort and pain in that sinus cavity. Currently it is dripping again and I'm concerned.  Anyone with any suggestions? Should I go to urgent care? The doctor that did my surgery is booked till June 2nd! :(
Ive been really congested cough headache but Ive had like neon mucus before but now it literally looks like egg yoke when i blow my nose does anyone know what it might be
Same thing happened to me. I finally had CT done and found a cyst in the sinus.
Thin yellow liquid - cyst rupture.  Sounds plausible.
I've had this happen to me once before but this time its just happened I've literally recovered from a bad throat/cold sort of thing. - guess its just a way of the body ejecting the evil bacteria that infected me with flu in the first place! -m not too worried about anything with the brain, no brain related probs have been in my family tree past and as I'm writing this I feel fine after saturating about 10 squares of toilet roll with the bright yellow fluid n I feel fine! If it was a major problem I would have thought your natural defences would let you know if it was a bad thing, such as a seizure or rash or anything!! But nope all is well I hope :)
I got up and was washing my face and I started to feel something come out of my nose. I automatically thought CRAP I'M GETTING A BLOODY NOSE, but I never have been prone to bloody noses. The last time I got a bloody nose was like 16yrs ago. Anyway, when I looked at what was coming out in the sink it was this CLEAR NEON YELLOW LIQUID!! I then blew my nose in the sink and a lil blood and mucus from my left nostril came out, but the drainage came out of my right nostril. I have never had this happen to me before, so I'm a lil freaked out!!! I'm kinda wondering if I need to go to the doctor or something. I'm thinking it could be a few things, but like I said I never had this happen to me before. 1st - I just finished getting over the flu last week. Monday of last week my left nostril was a lil sore inside. I couldn't blow that much because it hurt at the cavity. 2nd - About 2 weeks ago I got on a plane for the first time and my ears got really clogged that they started to hurt it finally went away early last week. And 3rd -  Friday of last week I hit the back of my head really hard with my fiance's elbow by accident. I was washing my face and he was behind me putting gel on his hair and since I was washing my face with soap I had my eyes closed. I assumed he stepped back a lil because I was in front of him washing my face, but he wasn't. He was right behind me still. Anyway, at this point I still had my eyes closed,  but the thing was my hair was starting to fall towards my face and I didn't want to get it wet, so what I did was flick my head back as hard and as fast as I could so my hair wouldn't get wet and I hit myself with his ELBOW!!! I actually hit pretty hard. I got a knot on my head and everything. And on top of everything I've been having a TOOTHACHE which is weird cuz I hardly ever get those either. Does anyone think any of these things could be the cause of the YELLOW DRAINAGE?
i dont normally get colds or such things, but the other week i had a real bad sore throat. the day after i had a full on cold come on. i always blow my nose good before going to bed to help me to breathe good all night. same when i get up in a morning. good old blow of the nosses. normally i never have anything come out of my left nossy, always from the right one. but this time there was some from the left. 'odd'  i thought. then this yellow stuf came out of my right nossy.' very odd' i thought. i can only descibe it as like lemon curd. not even runny lemon curd. day after that, the stuff was coming out of the left nossy also. i then started to cough up phlem, which also seemed to happen as soon as i had a drink or something to eat. thankfully, i think i am at the tail end of it all now, but it does knock you about a bit. i feel exhausted. it has lasted up to now about 2 weeks. but i am still here as you can tell. hope that everyone is over it soon.
I was reading...looking down... and my left nostril leaked. It was like bright yellow. How common is this???
I just left the gym, got home, just got out of the shower, and coughed up a little bright yellow mucus. As I spit it in the sinkm, bright yellow watery liquid ran out of my nose, A LOT. I’ve been getting over a cold/flu for the past 2 weeks. Sounds like it's nothing. I feel better and can seem to breathe again. I’ll update if it continues.
Weird topic, but glad to hear I’m not the only yellow water nose person out there.
Posting this on various threads, because they all seem to be about the same thing:

Enjoy :-)

Had the same thing - bright yellow fluid exiting left nostril, but please, nobody panic. I did (panic), and thought I was also leaking csf, but the doc called this evening and said it was probably just a cyst in the sinus cavity that burst for some reason. They're going to take a CT scan of the sinuses just to be sure, but it's probably nothing.

These things are benign more often than not (actually almost always)..; and apparently more common than anyone thought (by reading all the comments on this board). So please do yourselves a favor, relax... take a deep breath, blow your nose and get on with whatever you were doing :-) If I hear any new news after the scan, I'll pass it along.
I've just recently started to get this problem myself and reading through the responses I think I'll get it checked out although it may just be due to having glandular fever for the second time... But I guess to be on the safe side I should get it checked... How long should I expect this to last? It's been 3 days now...
if a lot came out suddently you probably had an infection and abcess (abscess) in your sinuses. I've got an infection now and since yesterday I have a lot of this bright canary yellow liquid coming out.  the pain is  unbearable and hopefully the draining will get rid of the pressure and pain.  i'm waiting fo the antibiotics to kick in.
I felt like I had no control of the liquid which was coming out of my nose.
Just then 4drops of BRIGHT YELLOW watery substance dropped and 3 drops absorbed on the bed sheet but the LAST one I just went near by and check it was VERY STICKY and it dried up almost automatically without any stain.
I suffer from Sinusities, Rhinities but this substance came only once in my lifetime and no effects till now.
Age 28
i too have been having a yellowish discharge from my nose . i have had a cold for about 3 weeks now and for the past 3 days the discharge now has blood in it along with the yellowish liquid.  i have also been having really bad headaches for the past 3 days.
I was watching a tv show on my computer and my head was in a down position for a moment. I began to leak about 10 drops of a liquid from my left nostril.  It felt like a nose bleed. But when it hit my hand it was a weird yellowish color.  It was sticky within a matter of seconds.

From readingt all these posts, I have visited an ENT, but that was years ago, like twenty years ago. I was diagnosed with chronic Post nasal drip. I get halitosis often. I currently have slight pain in my right ear. I have probably been diagnosed with sinutitis as well. I also have a deviated septum. No blows to the head like so many have mentioned.

Just writing this makes me feel much better. I will probalby see my GP for the ear pain soon as I have already planned to do. If anything out of the norm I will post back.
I started taking adderall (adderrall) 10mg a week ago.   I am 31yr/m, and have never taken ADHD medication before.  Over the course of the week I felt fine until friday (one week), the left side of my face was puffy/swollen and had a tremendous headache Saturday, Sunday and now today, all the while taking my 10mg in the morning.   I have looked at the side effects of Adderall (adderrall) and have wondered if this headache and jaw ache has some thing to do with the neon yellow liquid coming out of my left nostril.  

It is now Monday, and I came to work and blew my nose and leaned over and drops of yellow neon fluid came from my LEFT nostril.   What should I do?

Great article of what CSF fluid looks like.
http://www.arabmedmag.com/issue-01-12-2008/miscellaneous/main02.htm

My 9 year old daughter bent over tonight at church to tie her shoe, and she thought her nose was bleeding (which it never has before) and i looked at her, and there was yellow liquid coming out of her nose. I mean it was just like water. Please someone help me figure this out. It really freaked me out. You hear about head injuries and things like that all the time w kids, and I am scared to even put her to bed tonight. You can write me on here, but i would prefer you email me, cause I will prob never get on here again. ***@**** thanks in advance
I have had a bad dry/ wet cough for over a month. Within the last 2 weeks i have gotten a runny nose with light green mucus but now it is yellow like egg yolk? Can any one tell me why that is?
i feel better that i am not the only one having brite yellow fluid flowing from my nose. but i am also having alot of pressure on my right side of my face. just getting over broncitus.
I had exactly the same symptoms, left nostril leaking some bright yellow liquid. I thought it was probably just the remnants of the cold I had last week, but went to the doctor just to be sure.

The doctor told me my brain was leaking.

It turns out since I started studying for my PhD, there's no room up there for all the c***p I used to think I needed to know. Its mainly stuff from all my old jobs thats coming out, but the other day I snorted into the sink and the date of my wife's birthday came out. Since then I've been archiving my tissues, just in case.

Hope this helps. Best wishes,

MW

p.s. The doctor also told me that my PhD was causing chronic procrastination, with time-wasting posts on health forums as a main symptom.
Sir i studied the whole tale of replies i too had this problem recently after a long suffering of cold & fever for about a week i took normal antibiotic course. . .but about that head injury i fell down from a height headon but didn't had any visible injury in this accident my backside of head stroke the sandy ground.
I just had the same bright yellow fluid draining from my nose! I immediately call the doctor I worked with, after I ran throught the events of my day to her, we finally realized that it was the eye drops that I got a few hours ago from the eye doctor. I must have contained fluoecene. I hope this helps some one.
hi. how are you all feeling. my concern is that that yellow fluid first came out of my nose when I accidentally bumped my head on someone when I was playing volleyball. and there was three more instances and the last one was when I was hit by a basketball in the head yesterday. and today my left nose where the fluid came is clogged, can someone help of by telling of something about this yellow fluid
On Friday evening I had this strange Egg yolk colored watery substance come out of my nose. Later in the night I developed a rather large headache. After some sleep it seemed to go away, but then i had coming and going neck stiffness and back pain. Yesterday all day long I had a very severe headache and a stiff neck, and this morning (4/2/13) I had the same egg yolk colored stuff come up through my throat into my mouth. This time it was a little thicker in consistency. I have also been feeling post nasal drip only on the left side of my face all day. I went to my dr (of course didn't get to see my Dr.) she thought it was a sinus infection. This does not make sense to me. I could come to that conclusion if i had recently had a cold or had sinus pressure pain, a fever, fluid in the ears or something else along those lines, but it just does not set right. I have been researching CSF and I don't want to jump to any conclusions but a lot of the symptoms seem to fit except that they say that, that drainage is clear (although i have had some clear stuff as well) But my head did not hurt as badly when laying down but when upright felt like a jack-hammer going off inside. I had leaking out of my nose(left nostril only), a stiff neck, and not really back-pain but a tingling back...sort of like how it felt when coming of the spinal tap form my emergency c-section. I don't know if I am just overly cautious because i know i fought a battle of spinal meningitis as a newborn. I was hospitalized for a full month before being able to come home.  Am wondering if i should try to push forward to have more testing done if only to ease my conscience. And what further testing should i push for. a CT scan or MRI?  My head and neck feel better today but my back still feels strange.... I don't want to  over-react  but i would also hate to do nothing if something is warranted.. Any advice?
My 16 year old daughter gets nose bleeds about every 2 months or less depending on the weather. Last week, she came to me & said  she was peeing out of her nose. I told her that she was not peeing out of her nose & it was just mucus. Well, today, she yelled for me & she was in her bathroom & she was dripping yellow fluid from her nose. She said it feels just like a nosebleed & that it burns. I think I'm going to take her into the doctor on Tuesday. Has anyone gotten any test results about what this could be? It makes me a little nervous.
Hello Sir,

This morning I woke up and as usual routine I step to get ready. I was brushing my teeth and all of a sudden I realized some waterly liquid coming out of my right nose and it was yellow colour.

Based on above discussions only thing I get clue that last night I had bottle of two chilled beer and slept while Air Con was ON.

The point I am trying to make here "Is it because of experience of over cold, first beer then AC" beacuse I never experienced anything like this before in my life.

In recent past I did not have any head injury, deep sea diving or Spinal Cord is also ok.

Please advice.

mw432 - Please don't insert garbage.  Not funny.  People are worried about their symptoms.