Neurology Community
Broadbased posterior disc bulging at L4/5

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have moderate broadbased posterior disc bulging at L4/5, indenting the anterior aspect of the thecal sac, causing bilateral lateral recess stenosis and mild to moderate canal stenosis.  There's also a super-imposed annular tear on the disc.

My question is;

1. Am I a good candidate for microdiscectomy alone and why?  

2. If microdiscectomy applies to my case, will there usually be one incision or two? If one incision, could the surgeon remove the other side from the same incision

3. Will shaving off a portion of the disc make it herniate later since there's already tear/crack on disc?
Thank you for your question. There is no such restriction for micro-discectomy surgery for you if you are in between 30-40, although only your treating doctor can only let you know precisely about the exact outcome and procedure. Sometimes with the operations, there is a possibility that another fragment of disc will herniate and may cause similar symptoms. Therefore, endoscopic micro-discectomy is appropriate in some specific situations, and you may check this with your treating neurologist. Hope this helps.