Broken Disc, Can it get worse?
I have a broken & herniated lumbar disc and the fragment is laying in a different spot on a nerve (they believe a nerve). Anyway, I can barely be on here right now even though I am in bed (feeling bad migraines and my back). I wondered if it is possible for the herniated disc to get worse or yet break more? Yesterday it felt as though something broke back there and sooooo much excruciating pain! I am in worse pain back there (and I didn't think I could be) if I move about. I am only somewhat okay laying in a certain position. I can't roll over and I can sit up without this horrendous pain that makes me scream and cry. I am trying my best not to cry because it will make my head worse. What exactly causes a disc to break? I never had that hard of a hit that would make it break (at least the hit was no in that area).
Hi there!

Yes, disc herniations may worsen over time and may cause increased compression over the neural structures. Aside direct trauma, disc herniations could result from indirect trauma, constant wear and sear/ strain around the region, structural causes etc. I would suggest considering a review with your treating doctor for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan depending on the severity of the condition. Meanwhile I would advise rest. Tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you, I am trying my best to rest.  I do feel much worse. It is making me nauseated. I didn't know what caused this to start with. I had lower back trouble for awhile, but it all of a sudden became worse that one day and they didn't do anything in the beginning, but a doctor told me at the ER it could be a disc by my description (right he ended up being). I went to a doctor and he wasn't sure, but with my persistence, he sent me for a regular xray. They didn't see anything and I was told it shows the bones. I was in excruciating pain and i just pressed and pressed the issue and was not about to give up. I told them that this kind of pain cannot be nothing. There has to be something causing it as it was not all just in my head. So I was sent for an MRI where they found this issue. I am so glad I did not give up. (I guess now it shows me to not give up on my other issues as well, to keep on pushing for my health).

I talked to my doctor again just a few days ago and he did say ti could have shifted or become worse. He increased my pain meds, until I get surgery. I have to have surgery clearance first and it got pushed back by some issues, but I will have my clearance this week, hopefully.