Neurology Community
Bulging disc with spinal arthritis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bulging disc with spinal arthritis

I just got my MRI results and they said I had a disc protrusion but it was not touching the nerve and I have arthritis in my spine. What are somethings that they can do for this? I have a lot of pain all the time and I don't want to be on pain meds all the time. The Dr. told me that there is nothing more that they can do until it starts to touch the nerve or it gets unmanagable. It feels like it is now! Are there things that I can do to help ease the pain with out medication?
Avatar n tn
You can get a good PT who is experienced in back pain. Strength can really help both the disc & the arthritis.
Avatar n tn
My mother has recently been told that she has a bulging disk and arthritis at the top of her spine.  She has a very big mass of fluid or fat on the back of her head that looks like a giant sack of water.  She is taking medication for mental problems and they said they didnt think they could give her anything for the bulging disk and arthritis because of the medication she is already taking.  It is really upseting to see my mother like this....Do you know of anything I can suggest to these doctors for my mothers?
Avatar n tn
How are you feeling now?
I think you should be started on judicious dosage of analgesics and pain-killers along with physiotherapy.
There are many different terms used to describe spinal disc pathology and associated pain, such as “herniated disc”, “pinched nerve”, and “bulging disc”. The bones which form your spine are called as vertebrae. The space between two vertebras is cushioned with disc. When disc bulge or break open due to any reasons like ageing (aging), or trauma to spine, it is called as herniated disc and this can cause pinching of nerve. It can happen in any region, but is more common at lower back in lumbar region and cervical region.
It is advisable for you to do physiotherapy for relief of pain and spasm of muscle, pain killers and pain management specialist for conservative management irrespective of whether nerve is involved or not.
But if this fails, the option left is surgery.
Hope this helps.
Bye.