Neurology Expert Forum
Bulging disks - T5 - T10

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Bulging disks - T5 - T10

I have been diagnosed with bulging disks in my thoracic spine.  The bulges begin at T5 and continue through T10.  I have tried every possible treatment including dozens of medications, epidural injections (3 times), and physical therapy. - none have worked.
Dear Tim:

Without seeing the MRI it is difficult to tell you much.  If there is compromise of the spinal cord, then things are clearer on what to do.  However, the epidural injection had no effect suggesting that this may not be the case.  Surgery for strictly pain without a mechanical reason (grossly degenerative vertebrae, etc) is a **** shoot for pain relief.  I would make sure you get at least 2 opinions before undergoing the knife.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I had a lamectomy in 1993 and ow after a
fall in Oct. 1999 I am once again having
pain in lower back lmber region and also
mstly hip and thigh... Could this be from
the fall or could this be perhps scar
tissue from previous surgery???? If so,
does this mean more surgery?   I am
currently having physical therapy
treatments.. Today, I had another MRI..bu
won't have results for a couple of days..
Any suggestions??  Thank you.....

Dear Ann:

Since I do not know your case, I can't really tell you.  It might be any of what you mentioned.  I would talk to your neurosurgeon.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Thanks for the quick response.  The MRI report states that I have 1-2 mm bulges in t5-t10 (I have not been told that the spinal chord has been compromised).  I agree that surgery is not my favorite option, but I am at a loss for a solution.  I've tried everything.  If this is, indeed, not a mechanical problem then what can I possibly do about the pain past what I have already done?
Hi Tim--I had a triple herniation of my cervical spine and after trying everything else had surgery. One year post-op, I am still having lots of pain and numbness. I also have numerous problems with my lower back due to a birth defect of my hip(which has since been rebuilt). I have had every test imaginable and had epidurals, trigger point injections---- you name it -I've had it. I asked my doctor about a chiropractor for my lower back and he agreed to let me try it. I had been seeing one for years to keep my spine in alignment when my hip was so bad. It worked for me then and it seems to be working for me now too. Finally some relief! Find a good chiropractor who will give you a thorough examination,look at all of your doctors' reports and you test results(x-rays, MRI's) and ask your doctor if he would be willing to let you give it a try. It is a much better shot than surgery-I can attest to that! Debbie        Good Luck!!
thanks for the comment.

CCF Neuro MD
I have been told that I have a neuropraxia after suffering a fall affecting my right leg with weakness and my foot keeps giving way - I have been told that it is unlikely to get better - is this likely with this kind of injury - it has been eighteen months since it happened - I also get substantial pain in my calf muscle
I HAVE PAIN AND SPASMS IN LUMBAR -SACRAL AREA FOR 2 YEARS. iT BEGAN AFTER BENDING OVER MY NEW BABY IN THE CRADLE.  I can't have an mri because I have a screw and pin in my right hip. I had anct scan which noted disc degeneration. I had PT, but this did not help. The physical therapist said that he feels I have protruding discs. My PCP told me to see a chiropractor. I am going to one,but he really is helping me. I have increase pain when I lie down on my stomach.  I have increase pain when I am on my side or lying flat . It is tender and very painful at the lower spine, and the spasms are buttocks tohips bilateral. I am relieved when I stand up and walk. If I carry AnIncrease in weight or activity, the pain will return without lying down.  I saw a local neuro, but he really didnt help me because when I walk. I have no neuromuscular deficits. When I lie down, I can"t get up because the pain locks my lower back and hips. I feel like I am 105' I ma 43 years old. This pain does not worsen in cold or rainy weather. NSAIDS do not help nor muscle relaxants. I would like some advice
I have thoracis disc t9t10 bulging can that be cause of tightnees that seems to wanna take breath away makes u feel filled up?  I also had lumbar disc l4-s1 fused an c4-5 all were bulging, now i get tingling an burnings arms pain between shoulders, between blades an feels like stabbing in back an chest its getting hard to desifer where the pains come from.  I have also been to a phychiatrist an took all dif meds to no avail.  Does anyone know where or what might be causing these pains?
On February 24, I had my right kidney and adrenal gland removed due to a T-3a cancerous mass.  Soon after the surgery (hospital stay was 5 days), I began to experience a burning, radiating pain near the tip of my right scapula.  I went to a neurosurgen, had an MRI of the cervical and thorascic spine.  The MRI showed a slightly herniated disc at C-6 - C7, and two very slight bone spurs on another vertebrae.  The doctor suggested that the MRIs were "not a bad report" and that I need only take Celebrex and use traction.  I have now been using this treatment for 10 days and to this point have experienced very little relief from the pain.  In fact, I seem to be having muscle cramps in other parts of my back now as well.  When I sleep or rest, the pain seems to go away. During the day, I take Hydrocodone for pain relief.
Tim Richardson, have you tried deep tissue massage therapy?Someone with the knowledge of checking out PSOAS and ILLIACUS MUSCLES, very deep low back muscles, with an uneven pull, can literalloy RUPTURE or BULGE disks, and cause all kind of havoc.
The antagonist muscle to those after working and releasing them would be to go after piriformis muscle in the Butt (GLUTES) He can be responsible for sciatic pain , numbness etc going down the back of the leg
Illiacus muscle can cause hip dysfunction and bizzare symptoms.
I have been in this work for 10 yrs and have helped a lot of people with my work, on specific muscles. It would be worth a try on your part to find a reputable Massage therapist, ask questions if they do myofascial work and work on SPECIFIC muscles to release them. You will be the judge and jury if it is working for you or not
I hope this helps you,
GOOD LUCK,
Connie Nelson C.M.T.
I have cervical facet subluxation and my neck constantly cramps or spasms and I  have bulging discs c3toc6-7. Why does my neck burn all the time and can anything be done for the bulging discs.Any information will be appreciated. Thank you.
i was told have bulging disc of the cervical on disc 5 and 6 and there about a 4 and a 6. i have had to shoulder operations for a labrum tear and thermal shrinkage this is the same injury now my doctor wants me to have surgery on the disc i would like information about disc infusion.