Neurology Expert Forum
Burning / Numb / Painful sensation under skin (right thigh area)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

52 yrs old, white male, good physical condition.  Feeling a stoppoing, sever burning, tingle and sharp pain in my right thigh area.  Feels like there is a fire just under my skin.  At times it will stop me right in my tracks.  I am for some time now twisting my torso and streaching as I usually do and feel a tenderness/sore sensation in my lower back.... this does not and has not prohibited me for doing anything at all.... but I was wondering if there is a pinched nerve or somthing going on.

The pain feeliing on my right thigh, (this is the only area it has been felt) although it may be there constant I do not feel it all the time.  I can sit a certian way and my thigh area will go completly numb.  I will move a certian way and WOW......  like its on fire just under my skin.

general thoughts??  (planning to se a nuerologist thinking its a pinched nerve.... just not sure)

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Two conditions in particular come to my mind when I read the description of your symptoms.

The first is a condition called meralgia parasthetica. The symptoms of this condition inculde tingling, numbness and burning pain in the outer part of the thigh. The cause of is compression of the nerve that supplies sensation to the lateral part (outer part) of the thigh. This condition has many causes including being overweight, certain surgeries and the positioning that occurred during surgery, pregnancy, very tight clothes, diabetes, trauma. Also, in patients who are bed-ridden for prolonged periods of time in a particular position, this condition may occur. A diagnosis can be made clinically, though sometimes an EMG/NCS test, with a tests conduction along the nerve and the muscle's response to it, is sometimes necessary to exclude other causes. Treatment is available to help relieve the symptoms, but this condition may improve on its own.

The other possibility is a radiculopathy, or what is sometimes referred to as a pinched nerve, as you mention above. The spinal cord is encased by bones called vertebra. Nerves start to form as they come off the spinal cord and exit through holes formed between the vertebra. If a nerve is compressed on as it exits through these holes, particularly in an area called the nerve root, a radiculopathy results. The compression could be due to arthritis of the spine or due to a herniated disc or other lesions. The symptoms include pain at the level of the problem (i.e. neck or back etc) and pain that may radiate down the arm or leg (depending on where the problem is). In more advanced cases, muscle weakness or sensory symptoms such as tingling or numbness may occur. A radiculopathy is often diagnosed based on history, physical examination, and MRI of the spine.

Evaluation by a neurologist is a good idea.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.