Neurology Community
Burning, stabbing pain in foot, numbness in leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

A couple of months ago while trying to kneel down on my left leg, a sharp pain was felt below my knee. I thought I had knelt on a thumb tac. I looked and saw nothing was there. I could actually locate the nerve but when I touched it pain shot down my leg. The area around the spot was numb ( the same feeling as if novacaine was wearing off). I also have been having a terrable time with my foot on the same leg. I get shooting pains, burning sensations around the large area of the fifth metatarsal. My heels also hurt feeling as though the backs of them need to be stretched. I feel crippled trying to walk on them for about a minute after sitting with them elevated in a recliner for even as short of a time as ten minutes. I am relatively sure all this is related however I don't know what to do to stop this and let it heal if it is an injury to the nerve. Again, this has been going on for about three to four months. Please can someone advise. Thank you!
Hello vonbaron,
You should get an assessment done regarding the nerve pain as it could be due to sciatica,nerve compression or prolapsed disc.The heel pain could be due to several reasons like-
Plantar fasciitis occurs when the plantar fascia is strained repeatedly beyond its normal extension. The load causes the soft tissue fibers making up the fascia to tear or stretch along its length. The body reacts to this trauma with inflammation and pain, classic symptoms of tendonitis. The body may even react to this inflammation with growth of a bone spur where it attaches to the heel bone right in front of the base of the heal in the rear of the foot.Heel bursitis inflammation of the back of the heel can be caused by landing hard or awkwardly on the heel, or by pressure from shoes.You should see a neurophysician and get the relevant invetigations done to diagnose the cause of the numbness.Vitamin B supplementation may help you.
Refer http://www.heel-spur-treatment.com/heel-spurs/heel_pain.php
Best