Neurology Community
Burning Head Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning Head Pain

14 years ago, Sept 1996, I started with a burning pain on the top left side of my head that was about the size of a quarter.  Over the years it has went down to the bottom of only the left side of my head.  It is not a headace it is a burn that feels like it is inside my head.  I get both headaches and this burning sensation.  They are 2 distinct pains.  The burning pain is treated with Depakote which up until recently has controlled the burning pain.  I have been waking up nearly everyday with a severe headache.  Last week I had a cat scan and everything came back normal.  I then went to the chiropractor and my headaches have been gone but the burning pain is still there.  My doctor has increased my depakote medicine up to 2000 mil a day however it just doesn't seem to be working.   Has anyone out there experienced anything like this and if so how are you being treated.

Hi, For persistent headaches and burning sensation, possibilities like migrainous, cluster, tension and refractive errors that need to be evaluated thoroughly with the help of a neurologist here. Migraine like headache can be throbbing, one sided of face & head and preceded by aura (starts with blurred vision). Cluster headache may appear as burning, explosive in nature and tear appears from eyes. Tension headache originates with stress and anxiety disorder. Please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders by clinically examine you & ordering MRI or CT scan here that may be the main reasons of your headache attacks & other symptoms and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!

Hang in there and I hope that you have found some relief. I started having the burning headaches in in the top of my head in 2007.  The headaches last for months.  I have been to 4 separate neurologist in my community and no one has told me the cause.  I have had more than one mri.   I have been placed on numerous meds that did not do anything for me and only caused me to feel like I could not function.  I having been hoping some doctor could tell me the cause of the headaches because I too get migraine headaches.  I will have two headaches at the same time. The migraine headaches go away but the  burning pain in the top of my head that never goes away. The burning headache can change at any time (the pain levels).  Some days the pain is unbearable.  All the pain medications come with side affects.  I have resigned myself to the pain and do the best that I can.  I can only hope that I will not be suffering with these burning headaches for the rest of my life.  My faith in God is the only hope I have at this time.  The doctors don't seem to know anything but the last neuro has told me it is another form of migraine headaches. God Bless U
I've been having migraines for 11 years now and over the years they have gotten worse. I have been diagnosed with Chronic migraines, now I have been experiencing numbness and weakness to my left side, some weakness in my legs. A burning sensation to the left side of my face along with heart palpitations. I have taken every med there is for my migraines including the beta block injection to my head and nothing works. Now I'm being told that I have Complex migraines. I have an appointment with an neurologist for further evaluation. I am so tired of dealing with this. I can barely work or do daily activities due to my condition. The burning to the face and head is non-tolerable. Please give some input on what I can do to at least relieve the burning. Ms. C