Neurology Expert Forum
Burning Pain at Shoulder Blade and Arms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning Pain at Shoulder Blade and Arms

My wife has been suffering with a Burning pain across her Shoulders and Right arm and less pain in her left arm for several weeks. The pain for the last couple of days has increased in both arms and shoulders. The She has had a Ultrasound,IVP, and X-Ray nothing has been found. It is to the point where she is scared.  Can you help?

Dear Chuck:

I think that I would see a neurologist, there can be alot of things going on to cause such a distribution of pain.  A neurologist can do a good neurological exam and see if the pain fits a pattern, do some labs to rule out worrisome things and begin the healing process.  This could be many things and to give you a laundry list would only make you worry more, but most likely this is something less worrisome and fixable.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
HAS   your wife been to a neuro surgeon?
I ahve had cervical disc surgery on c-5-6 and my symptoms were burning pain in shoulders and arm. The only way to find out for sure if it is disc related is to have an MRI on her c spine..
Good luck and please tell her to consult a Neuro ....
thanks for your comments.

CCF Neuro MD
you have a angioma  canervious
I have an 82 year old friend, Frank Hoffman, who last year had surgery to fuse the 3rd through 5th vertebra.  The purpose of the surgery was to treat "cold waves" that originate from the spine, across the back, and travel down both arms.  The surgeon felt that fusing these vertebra could make the cold waves go away.  Unfortunately, the waves did not cease after the surgery; in fact, the intensity of the "cold waves" has since strengthened to the point that they are unbearable, and the pain associated with these waves is not alleviated by aspirin, tylenol, ibuprofen, etc.  His doctor tells him that he cannot understand why these waves are happening.  He was prescribed Neurontin 100 mg, graduated up to 4 x day in a month's time, but he broke out in red patches and did not have any relief; if anything, the symptoms got worse rather than better.      

In all other respects, Mr. Hoffman is a healthy, active man who exercises regularly and does not experience any other significant physical ailments.

Mr. Hoffman lives in the San Francisco Bay Area and would be willing to travel anywhere to see a doctor who may be familiar with this problem who might be able to help him.  

Have any of the doctors at Cleveland Clinic heard of "cold waves" such as these?  

If you have any questions, we may be reached as follows:

Russell Jackson (author of this message)  650-579-3677

via email:  ***@****

835 Walnut Avenue, Burlingame, CA  94010

Mr. Frank Hoffman  650-348-8980

1760 Willow Avenue, Hillsborough, CA  94010

via email:  ***@****

Mr. Frank Hoffman  650-348-8980

If you can please respond to my comment to February 27, 2000 on Frank Hoffmans unbearable cold waves.

Thank you very much

Russell E Jackson
Dear Mr. Jackson:

I am sorry but I have never heard of "cold waves".  Paraesthesias can sometimes feel like a temperature change but to have them bilateral with little evidence for a cervical problem is unusual.  What did the MRI show before the surgery?  Were there problems with Mr. Russell's gait or walking?

Sorry, I am not much help.

CCF Neuro MD
I have been suffering from burning pain in my right shoulder blade with radiating pain to my wrist and some numbness and tingling in my fingers. I am finding it is becoming increasingly uncomfortabl especially when I am laying down. It sounds similar to Chucks wifes problem except its only on one side. can anyone help?    Thanks
A related discussion, gail1118 was started.
A related discussion, burning pain back shoulder blade was started.