Neurology Expert Forum
Burning Pain in Different Area While Blood is Being Drawn

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I've been on Warfarin and get my INR checked about every three weeks now, for about 2 years.  Never had a problem with the blood draw until this week.  The phlebotomist (I assume) was drawing blood from the inside of my right elbow.  This is my usual location.  On her firt attempt, she missed. On her second attempt I felt a burning pain near my wrist.  At first I thought that the corner of her ID card, that hangs from her neck, was stabbing me in the wrist.  But nothing was.  I mentioned the burning feeling to her and she was apologetic and continued the draw.

It's now been 5 days and I still get that pain/sensation when I turn my wrist a certain way or extend my arm.  What is this from, what can I do to speed up the healing and more importantly, will it go away?

Thanks,

Ed
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

The median nerve runs near the area of where blood draws occur. It may be injured with blood draws for example. The symptoms may be pain/sensory changes in the thumb and first couple of fingers. When the area is stretched, as you mentioned, the symptoms worsen. Typically, the symptoms improve with time.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
A related discussion, nerve pain with blood draw was started.