Neurology Community
Burning Pain in Forearm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning Pain in Forearm

Hi all, I'm a 21 year old female with no major physical health issues. Last week i went to the a clinic about a sharp pain my chest, above my left breast. Got an EKG, x-ray, both negative, but sent to ER as a precaution. Did another EKG, X-ray, and several diff blood tests for clots, all negative. They sent me home saying it must be muscular./

Over a few days after, i was feeling weakness in my arm. I felt it in the hospital a little, but they said it was most likely the IV making me feel that way and there were no clots as they could see.

Now today its been all day burning sensation and if i flex my arm or stretch my wrist the burn is more intense. Could it be a pinched nerve? does this have anything to do with the pain in my chest i had (which went away 2 days ago) or is this it's own issue?

If it persists as much tomorrow i am going to the dr. I do use the computer often, for recreational use as well as school work and also play video games quite a bit (and was finding it was bothering me earlier and causing my hand to feel weak so i stopped). I was thinking maybe it could be carpal tunnel... what can i do in the mean time to help ease the pain until i get to the dr? and has anyone else experienced this?
Hi there.

This maybe unlikely carpal tunnel since carpal tunnel syndrome will more commonly affect the hand more than the fore arm.  I agree with you that this may be an impinged nerve, since your symptoms point out to a neuropathic cause (burning, pain, weakness). The nerve compression can be anywhere from the origins in the spine to the axillary area.  I suggest that you take this to your doctor to be assessed properly.  He may request tests such as nerve conduction velocity (NCV) or EMG to pinpoint the problem.  MRI of the spine may also aid in the diagnosis.

Regards and God bless.
thanks much. im heading to the dr tomorrow. the burning pain was unbearable last night and my boyfriend wanted to take me to the ER, but i slept it off and woke up with no pain for a good 2 hours. its back, but much milder (though tends to get worse as the day progresses).

Could there be any connection between the left side chest twinge i had and this burning arm pain?