Neurology Community
Burning Pain on top of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning Pain on top of head

I have been having a persistant, severe, burning pain that feels like it's right under my skull, ranging from the front of my forehead to the top/back of my head. Sometimes the pain lasts for days, sometimes for a day only. It has been going on for a couple years now, and despite seeing a neurologist, and various other doctors, I have been unable to get any help or relief. I've taken Neurotrin, various medication for migraines such as Imatrex and Maxalt, and Topimax (excuse the misspelling), etc. Nothing has helped. So far, Advil (taken 4 at a time) has only helped to take the sharpest edge off this intense pain, but nothing has helped to even begin to eliminate it or relieve it.

If you have any information on this, or if you know what will help...please...I am SOO desperate. I cry now when I get this pain, it is so intense and so unbearable.

This discussion is related to 4 month headache on top of head.
I know this is an old post, and I wish people who suffered with this issue initially are all cured by now..

But this is what I observed.

This burning head ache on top of the head could be due to 3 main reasons..

1) Nerve damage, due to high bp and/or critical sugar imbalance (due to any reason), if thats the case please ask your doctor how he/she can diagnose if thats the case, if he/she fails to support in the right direction, take yourself some over the counter B-Complex, take it for few months and your nerve damages should slowly heal and you should feel better, if nerve damage is something which caused those burning pains, then you should start feeling better the time you start taking B-complex.

2) Bacterias in your head.. sounds very interesting, the bacterias can bore deep inside your skull muscles damaging the network of veins, if that's the case then someone should be able to confirm it for you and prescribe you right antibiotics or similar solution, you should start feeling better if it was deep rooted bacteria which was producing inflammation around your veins.  

3) Liver issues, if liver is failing to provide the glucose as/when brain needs it, your brain feels choked and creates issues which are even hard to explain let alone treat. At that point your brain is triggering panic in your body.

Any/All of the above tips could help you move in towards the solution, no promises but may help you ask your physician to get diagnosed with any of these issues which might lead to burning head aches.

I feel such kind of headaches would be reported by the people who were exposed to high BP incidents and or Sugar imbalance issues in their lives which left the critical veins damaged or inflamed, Time should heal it if you do not stress and take sufficient of B-complex.

Hope someone finds this helpful.
I have the same thing and my neurologist thinks it's Post Herpetic Neuralgia.  I just started taking nortriptyline for it.  Has anyone discussed that with you?