Neurology Expert Forum
Burning Sensation in Lower Leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning Sensation in Lower Leg

I have recently been experiencing a periodic burning sensation in my lower leg.  The burning seems to shoot from my left knee down to my ankle.  What might be causing this and why?  I have had several surgeries on my left knee including acl reconstruction.  Could thi be the source of the problem.
  Thank you for taking the time to follow up.
  Sincerely,
  Cindy
Dear Cindy,
Thank you for your question.
I would say that the first potential cause to your symptoms is a problem in your left knee, since you had surgery on this knee, and the pain appears to originate from this same knee. It coud be caused by inflammation or damage to the cartilage, or anything that would make your knee not function properly. If your left knee is red and swollen, if the pain occurs only when you are standing or walking or gets much worse when you are standing or walking, this increases the likelihood that your knee is causing the burning sensation. There are many other possible causes, such as a problem in your hip or in your low back. Neurological problems can also produce burning sensations. If this burning sensation is not going away or if it is worsening, you should see your doctor, in order to get a more precise idea of what is going on, and how it can be treated. Your doctor will then obtain additional tests or refer you to the appropriate specialist if necessary.

A related discussion, Osteo Arthritis related question was started.