Neurology Expert Forum
Burning Skin - Burning on Legs,hands,Arms and Eyes

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have burning symptoms on legs/thighs,hands/arms and face,some time cold feeling and some time hot feeling.
Started burning on the legs then hands,eye lids and face.

I am Hypothyroid and Fyabromyalgia patient,currently taking 88mcg levothyroxin (levothyroxine)/daily,75mg Lyrica/daily,B12 1000/daily and D vit 50000 IU/every two weeks.

Please advice.

Sheker
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Burning sensation is usually a pain syndrome associated with nerves, i.e.,neuropathic pain. It can also be associated with systemic disorders such as rheumatological and endocrine (e.g., the two disorders you mention). (Another cause of neuropathy is vitamin B12 deficiency). Neuropathic pain can be diagnosed by history and physical, and also may include an examination called EMG/NCS which assesses the condition of your nerves. This is performed at most neurology clinics. Additionally, blood tests are indicated to find the etiology of the neuropathic pain. The most common cause of neuropathy is diabetes; thus, this should always be tested in the workup. Treatment for neuropathic pain includes treating the underlying cause but also medications such as gabapentin and pregabalin may help. Since you are already on one of these medications, you should discuss with your physician if the dose can be safely titrated.  

Lastly, you should follow up with your primary physician. You may need a referral to a neurologist for a neuropathy evaluation.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

I have severe burning on the skin,need help.

Burning started on the legs then hands then spreaded every where.
Also skin getting hot.

I am hypothyroid and Fyabromyalgia patient.

Any advice ?

sheker
Thank you Doctor.

My endocrine doctor ordered some lab tests,i have excess B12 1249 (normal range 211-946).Also my Total Bilirubin is 2.6,this one always high for last five  years(fluctuating between 2 to 2.75). My all remaining lab results are normal.

I stopped taking B12(1000 IU),and continuing on D-vit,Lyrica and Levothyroxin (levothyroxine).
Burning sensation got controlled but if i go to sun again same thing happening.

Now i have new symptoms started for last 3 days,cold sensation on the skin,more on joints.EMG was done 4 months ago,which was normal.

Do you think this cold sensation also because of  B12 high ?

Sheker

I can't comment on the cause of your burning sensations, but have to say your dose of Lyrica is very low. Ask your doctor for an increase, and follow instructions carefully for titrating it up over time. 75 mg isn't enough to do anything.
Lyrica is a very dangerous drug with ridiculous side effects. That could very well be your problem. Do you have numbness or ascending paralysis feelings too?

My doctor refused to prescribe my Lyrica when I was going through horrible neuropathy. Good luck to you. I can imagine that's very scary and very painful.
tash121,

I don't have numbness,i have only pain from head to foot.
Also i have skin burning and cold/icing on joint areas.

Sheker