Neurology Community
Burning Skin/Feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning Skin/Feet

Several years ago my toes became sensitive to the sheet/covers. Now my feet burn most of the day but particularly at night.  It is now in my legs and when I lie down it seems to come into my arms and sometimes slightly in my face. It seems to really fire up when I try to go to sleep.  Strangely I find that if I take a Ambiem sleeping pill that when I wake up much of the burning is gone. I also find sleeping in a recliner to be better than flat. I had MRI of back (I do have stenosis of the spine). I also injured L4-L5 but have had no surgery and my back does not bother me.  I had epidural shots and they did nothing. I have been on Neurotin(?) and it does not seem to help. I do have Type 2 diabetes, but my A1C is low (6.0-6.2) ad my blood counts rarely, if ever, go over 180 (usually between 100-150). I have been to many doctors, but no help.  The arthritis doctor did suggest that it might be micro-fiber Fibromyalgia which would require a biopsy.  Nothing has been done in that area.  I do take a multi-vitamin, fish oil, saw palmatio(?) every day. I have had trigger fingers released and both rotator cuffs repaired (Whatever this might mean.)

Any help or sugestions would be appreciated.

SteveHul
     How are you? Burning feet may be a temporary problem, such as due to athlete's foot or sensitivities to fabrics or leather dyes. But when this symptom occurs over a longer period, it can indicate a more serious disorder and should be evaluated by a doctor.

One such cause of chronic burning feet is sensory peripheral neuropathy. This results from damage to the nerves that transmit sensation from the arms, hands, legs and feet to the brain. Causes of sensory peripheral  neuropathy are B-12 deficiencies, pernicious anemia, diabetes, alcohol abuse etc.

Ambien is a drug that is used for treatment of insomnia. I would suggest that you practice yoga, relaxation techniques and take the help of a physiotherapist.
Also, take a second opinion from a physician in this regard.
Best.