Neurology Community
Burning Tongue and recurring headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning Tongue and recurring headache

46 year old male.  Onset of Burning tongue after trip to Santo Domingo 6 months ago without relief.  My GP recommended B-12 and Zinc vitamins, tested me for diabetes which was negative. Regardless of regimen, no relief and burning tongue continues.   Then, a month ago, recurrent headaches began along with the continuing burning tongue, the discomfort is at the base of head with pain in neck and shoulders.  Headache discomfort usually comes in morning and/or evening. Relieved with ibuprofen and Xanax and/or therapeutic chiropractic massage. Relief lasts a day or so and then pain/discomfort returns.  I can control the discomfort by moving my head and neck into different positions  I also suffer from panic anxiety (20 years) and have been under great stress last 8 months.  I take Toprol for blood pressure. Coincidentally, I weaned myself off Zoloft after taking it steadily for 8 years 7 months ago before the onset of the burning tongue.  Has anyone had similar symptoms and if so, what was result of your experiences?  I have an appt with neurologist but its not for a couple of weeks as there seems to be a run on patients and not enough neurologists here to see us all.  Any advise is appreciated.

There is a possibility that the symptoms of burning tongue and headache are due to extreme anxiety and depression.
Is your blood pressure adequately controlled with your current medication?
I would suggest you to try and cut down stress in your day to day life. You can make a list of all the things that are causing you stress and then see how you can deal best with each one of them. You can also try breathing exercises and meditation if possible.Take care!
Hello Dear,
Studies suggest that approximately 75% of people who report burning tongue (glossodynia) or “Burning Mouth Syndrome” also suffer from headaches, face pain, and other muscle and joint related conditions which we treat.
A headache, which is generally caused due to burning back of tongue, can be easily termed as burning back of tongue headache.
Symptoms of burning mouth syndrome
Headache is one of its symptoms. The condition is closely linked with a metallic or bitter taste in the mouth, which tends to deteriorate with the gradual progression of day.
Some people may even complain of having dry mouth. Your headaches when you have a burning mouth syndrome, which eventually leads to depression and anxiety.
You should consult a neurologist and ger the diagnosis confirmed so that appropriate treatment can be started.
Refer http://www.headache-migraine-release.com/burning-back-of-tongue-headache.html
Best
My blood pressure is controlled by the Toprol according to my GP.  While not perfect, its typically at 128 over 85 while using the Toprol. And I have tested my blood pressure while I have the headaches and its normal.  I do feel that my stress levels are very high and would not doubt that stress is definitely a factor.  While I have not had Panic Anxiety attacks now for over 7 years, I would not be surprised that muscular tension which I do feel around my neck and shoulders are a factor of the symptoms I feel.  I also have very bad posture. My Chiropractor feels that I may have early upper cervical arthritis and suspects that a nerve may be getting pinched causing both the burning tongue sensations and now the neck/head headaches.  I will read the link provided by Dr. Simran and take a copy of the responses to my neurologist when I finally can see him.  I thank you both for your responses.