Burning and stabbing pain in thigh
I have had numbness to my left thigh for 3 years now.  The doctor ordered an MRI (spine and brain), echocardigram, CT scan, and a doppler of my carotoid artery.  He said I had some arthritiis and disk proplems, but did not have MS.  I was supposed to see a Neurologist, but I was laid off from my job and had no insurance.

I fell down the stairs in November and went to the ER after I couldn't get up or put any weight on my right leg for several days.  I didn't want to go due to not having insurance, but wanted to be sure that it wasn't something serious.  I had a swollen bruise on my outer left thigh where I landed on my leg.  The ER did a doppler on the bruise to ensure that I didn't have a blood clot and said I probably pulled my hamstring and sent me home.

My pulled hamstring healed and the bruise went away, but it still hurt to touch my leg where the bruise was.  I also started getting burning in my thigh and sharp pains which I could live with.  A few weeks later I woke up with what felt like lightning bolts shooting through my left thigh with the pain going across to my other thigh.  These pains paralyzed me because any amount of movement caused more lightning bolt pain.

I went to the ER and was told that I have Sciatica, but I don't have pain in the back of my legs.  I went to a low cost clinic and was told that I probably have neuropathy and was prescribed Neurontin.  They took my reflexes and I had no reflexes in my arms nor legs.  The Neurontin helps the pains in the middle of the night, but not the other pain from the injury.

I now have some insurance,  but I can only see my overworked PCP and the only testing that my insurance covers are X-Rays (suspected fractures), basic blood testing, and EKG's.  I can't see a specialist with my insurance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
I had a circlar area of burning tingling area on my right thigh,many years ago and ignored it. Years later I found out I had nerve damage in the left leg. The burning on the right was a signle to pay atention. Drs found by using a emg to messure electric pulses, that the cont pain, pins and needles up and down my left leg are from nerve damage I also has nerve damage to both arms all of this is a result of narowing space that pinches the nervres. I get steroid/lidocade injections directly to the nerves in my L4-5 S1 joints. It hlps with the pain but doesn't help the nerological symtoms. Since you have limited medical, I could sugest looking for a community or low cost accupunturist. It helps the nerological symtoms alot. If your insurence will cover pain managment clinic try that too, they are experts with this kind of thing and don't need expensive test, they can tell many things by careful examination of symtoms, all they use are their eyes, a hammer, and a tool with a varity of edges. They can give you specific excersizes to do.
Thank you for your advice.  I know that the vertebra in my neck has the same problem as you mentioned.  The doctor told me years ago when I had an MRI that some of my vertebra had problems, but he didn't associate it with the numbness.  Now he is brushing off everything by saying that he can't tell what is wrong with me because my insurance will not pay for an MRI.  He gave me Meloxicam and told me to come back in a month.  My recent XRays of my neck said I had interior and posterior bone spurs and narrowing between my discs.  He didn,t know that I went and picked up a copy of my XRays.  He did say I need physical therapy, but my insurance doesn't cover that either.