Neurology Expert Forum
Burning left side of face and mouth

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning left side of face and mouth

I have had chronic burning on the left side of my face, lip, mouth , throat.  My neuro put me on lyrica tid.  Which seems to keep it under control most of the time.  But I have no answer as to why I have this condition.  He also dx me with cramp fasiculation syndrom (syndrome) and hyper excitable nerve disorder.  Gave me lamictal for that.  Which I am currently not taking.  I occasionally have burning sensation in other areas...but it never lasts long.  My face issue is a little unnerving at times.  He acts like it is no big deal.  It is no fun feeling like you have a scalded mouth everyday.  I have had on the b vit blood tests, lyme, etc.  All neg.  Brain mri showed some white matter...essentialy normal.  Could it be realated to any cervical problem?  Any ideas?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

If there is sensory loss on the face with objective evidence of dysfunction of the nerve that supplies innervation to some areas of the face, the 5th cranial nerve or trigeminal nerve, imaging to exclude a problem is indicated (such as a small tumor or some other lesion affecting this nerve). This imaging is ideally done with contrast (dye). More commonly, symptoms in the mouth predominantly could be due to burning mouth syndrome. Burning mouth syndrome is a disorder that is characterized by burning within the mouth (tongue, inner cheeks, but sometimes also lips and extending into the face). Some causes include diabetes and vitamin deficiencies, which it sounds like you have been tested for. In some cases, a cause can not be found, but treatment does include lyrica, amitryptiline, and other medications for neuropathic pain.

Continued followup with your neurologist is recommended.
Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
I did have an MRI of brain with contrast.  Is there another particular imagining study that would be more appropriate for the 5th cranial nerve.  I have been to an ENT.  He basically said since this is only on the Left side it would not be any on the "normal" dx.  Thank you for your input in this matter.