Burning neck pain
About 3 months ago, I underwent major surgery for 3 disks in my neck that 'went bad'.  I had neck fusion with insertion of titanium plates, screws, etc.  The surgery was a success.  In talking with people, it sounds like this is a fairly common surgery.  My surgeon was rated as the best in my area. However, I no longer have the shoulder pain that was the main symptom that brought me to the doctor, but I have developed a severe burning pain in the back of my neck.  I have done everything I have been told to do including wearing a neck brace for almost 3 months and now wearing a soft cervical collar.  I have been off work this entire time.  Is there anybody else out there that has experienced this same type of surgery, and if so, do you experience burning pain or other problems?
I had a single cervical fusion on June 4th. I have also improbved a great deal. But I have experienced burning pain, and my collarbone is extremely painful to the touch. I looked on internet as much as I could, and found that as the nerves heal, that this can sometimes happen. It is supposed to go away after they regenerate. Wish they would hurry up. I hope this is all the is going on, information I read says it can take up to a year for full healing. Good luck. Talk to your surgeon, I am seeing mine on Thurs. My neck and muscles are very sore tonight, we have been having rain past 2 days. Hope I didn't become a "weatherman" Have been worrying about non-fusion, etc. Also headache at base of neck. Do you have any of these symptoms? Any help appreciated, as you are ahead of me in healing. Good luck with getting some answers. Hope I was somewhat helpful.
Thanks for the info.  It does make sense that it takes a long time for nerves to heal or regenerate.  Hopefully that is what is going on in our cases.  It is also tender to the touch between my shoulder blades, but also burns 'inside'.  I see my surgeon on Monday, so will ask him about the regeneration.  At first, I also worried about non-fusion, but all my x-rays so far have shown good fusion.  I was afraid I might have done something, even a little thing like moving my neck the wrong way, that would mess things up.  I am also wearing a bone stimulator that my doctor recommends.  It is suppose to improve the growth of the new bone so the fusion takes hold better.  I have not experienced any headaches at the base of the neck and I have not noticed if the weather makes a difference in my pain.  I will start paying more attention to that.  Good luck to you also.  I was told initially that it would be 6 months before 'complete' healing.  I'm over halfway there, but it seems like forever.
I still have the base of skull headche, so am worried about fusion. Hopefully for nothing. Will know on Thurs, and post results of x-rays. I was told can take up to a year to be completely healed. Seems like a long time, but as I am 60, and it took a long time to get as messed up as I am, maybe a year isn't so long. LOL Good luck!