Burning pain for 3 years after knee replacement surgery
My mother had a knee replacement 3 1/2 years ago and after six months she developed a burning pain in her knee.  It is now running down from the knee to her ankle and is very tender.  She has had nerves removed to try to remedy the pain and been given nerve medication, none of which have been effective. She has been to the pain clininc and received acupunture also.  She has been given the run around at the hospital and they don't seem to know what to do with her, in  the meantime she cannot fly on a plane, dance or have the quality of life she had before.  She has also deteriorated mentally since this pain and has become very forgetful, which I am convinced is because all she thinks about is this burning pain and not just old age.  The only time she has any relief is when she is in bed and resting.
Hi, Thank you for your question. Her symptoms could be suggestive of either some nerve injury or a pressure on the nerve after the knee surgery. Another possibility in your case could be damaged the soft-tissues such as muscles or underlying skin. However, it is essential to clarify that nerve injury does not necessarily mean complete injury to the nerve and it may be either edema or some type of compression of nerve by a blood clot or scar formation. I would recommend you to see a neurologist who can evaluate the details of your case and could better determine the insight of your situation. Hope this helps.