Neurology Community
Burning sensations all over my body

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Burning sensations all over my body

About a week and a half ago, I slowly developed tingling (first) in my right hand, then it started in my left foot, but similar to an "icy-hot" feeling....a few days later, it has progressed to a burning sensation that sporadically hits all parts of my body (face, neck, forearm, hands, legs, toes, feet). These sensations started occuring the week after I was really stressed out about wondering if my pap smear results would be ok, and the fact that I was going to be audited by the IRS!! Funny thing is, at night, I'm not in as much pain as I am during the day. (I can wake up in the middle of the night and have no pain whatsoever). But as the day progress, the sensation starts as a icy hot feel in my feet, then burning sensation, then I may even have ice cold feet. But the burning sensation prevails. It feels like I'm on fire. It has happened constantly every day since it first started. I went to Urgent Care today (I'm out of town on business), and the doctor did a neurological physical and took blood work. He stated that it could be stress/anxiety (I have been under EXTREME stress lately), vitamin B deficiency, hormonal imbalance/thyroid problem, amongst other things. I asked him about peripheral neuropathy and he strongly feels that I don't have that. So I'm at a lost. And I'm in pain! I've been constantly on the internet, looking up causes of this trying to figure out what it is. I made an appointment with a neurologist (he can't see me until July 5th), but I really need some pain relief!!!! Any ideas what i can do to ease the discomfort? And also, any ideas of what my condition could be (possibly MS, Diabetes, or Anxiety)? Thanks for your feedback!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Your neurologist needs to rule out multiple sclerosis, a chronic demyelinating disorder also. MS is a chronic demyelinating disorder where the disease phase is characterized by active phase and remissions. It has multiple symptoms and signs and is a diagnosis of exclusion. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness in any area, problems with walking and coordination, tremors in one or more arms and legs. Bowel and bladder symptoms include frequency of micturition, urine leakage, eye symptoms like double vision uncontrollable rapid eye movements, facial pain, painful muscle spasms, tingling, burning in arms or legs, depression, dizziness, hearing loss, fatigue etc. The treatment is essentially limited to symptomatic therapy so the course of action would not change much whether MS has been diagnosed or not. Apart from clinical neurological examination, MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination, two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain locations. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons, transmit nerve signals slower than non-demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. Slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI in addition, a spinal tap. Therefore, it would be prudent to consult your neurologist with these concerns. Hope this helps. Take care.
I have the same symptoms as msanxious76.  Has he been cured? Louie1946 I need help now!!!
I have the same ...is it cured???
Please reply to my email ***@****