Neurology Expert Forum
Burning sensations associated with stroke

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

On November 25, 1998 my father received a reply from you regarding burning he was experiencing all over his body after he had a stroke.  You recommended several medications, indicating the symptoms may be the result of lesions in the central nervous system.  
Not much as changed over the past years with the burning sensation.  He has been on Neurontin for a couple of years which helped some but after a time lost it's effectiveness and was placed on 800 mg each of Tegretol for the past 6/8 months.  It seems to help somewhat at this time, but he has now developed a sweating problem which he has narrowed down to the burning sensation.  This sweating started approximately 4 months ago and comes along with the burning when resting, laying, sitting... and he must change shirts at least once every night.  Lately the sweating always comes on with the burning.  ANY help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to hear about your father's symptoms.Unfortunately, I did not come aboard medhelp until last year so I am not familiar with your father's case. But based on what you have provided here, it sounds like the pain syndrome he had has now led to what we call autonomic changes in the skin. This has resulted in profuse, inappropriate sweating. Chronic abnormal pain fiber activity can start a vicious cycle of nerve and blood vessel damage in the skin, causing the type of symptoms your father is experiencing. There is a disease called reflex sympathetic dystrophy that is manifest as a similar symptom complex (but not exactly depending on the history). Although there does not appear to be a well established cure, some medications that have helped patient in the past include elavil (an antidepressant with special pain properties and could help with the sweating), mexilitine, narcotics (addictive) as well as the ones he's tried. Other things that could help include acupuncture or a TENS unit (stimulation unit placed by anesthesiologist.) In the past some surgeons went in and destroyed a clump of nerves to help relieve the symptoms, but there are significant side effects and the procedure has not been shown to be of benefit in all cases. Perhaps if the underlying pain can be controlled, then the sweating will improve. I do recommend seeing your PCP just to make sure nothing else is going on like a pheochromocytoma. If everyhting is ok, then consider a pain management clinic for specialized care.Good luck.
1 Comment
A related discussion, burning sensation was started.