Neurology Community
Buzzing Feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Buzzing Feet

For the past six or seven months, I have suffered from intermittent buzzing in miscellaneous parts of my body from the hip down. It seems to be generally associated with movement, and the exact location varies from time to time. For example, since yesterday, when I step on my left foot, I feel a throbbing/buzzing (no pain) in my left toe, and when I move my toe up or down, I feel the same buzzing. However, as I sit here, I feel no buzzing, even (sometimes) when I move it. The day before, I felt a slight buzzing on the side of my hip for an hour or so, and then it stopped; and I have had it before, pretty much with the same level/time frame of buzzing. Typically, any sensation occurs on the left side, but I have had slight buzzing on some part of my right foot every week or so for a couple of hours – sometimes on top, sometimes on bottom. When I have it, it will be typically be there for a few minutes, disappear for an hour, come back for a couple of minutes, disappear for maybe a few hours, then probably won’t be back the next day. Initially, when this all started, I had the buzzing sensation in my upper left leg over the course of a month, but only when I was walking -  it went away for a couple of months, and then came back, but this time only when I was sitting down - when I walked there was no buzzing.

Sometimes this buzzing seems to be a very fine twitching, but sometimes just like a very fine vibrating, maybe like a cell phone on vibrate. Just a sensation - no tangible vibrating or buzzing.  It comes and goes throughout the day usually. Sometimes, it won’t be there at all in the morning, then later in the afternoon, it will be there for an hour or two, and then disappear, and then re-appear for ten minutes late in the evening. It isn’t a constant problem over the course of the day, but in general, it is there at some point every day.

There is no loss of feeling or weakness anywhere in my body; no visual problems, etc. I am a male in my early 40’s. I had an occasional warm feeling in my foot, but that has not been present for months.

My GP ordered me to have an MRI of my lower back with contrasting agent a few months back, after running misc tests, e.g. B12, Lyme, etc (all fine) – the result was that I have “very minor” bulging between L4/L5 and between L5/S1, but no “pinched” nerves. She seems to think that this is the cause of the buzzing, and told me simply that there is very little to do, except for stretching. Typically, I do not have a sore back, but yesterday and today, it feels somewhat sore, which has coincided with this toe buzzing.

However, I continued to worry about these sensations, and I noticed for a few weeks that I had some very minor muscle twitching (though nothing like buzzing) in other areas of my body – this was a month or so ago. I would feel a small twitch in my left arm, see minor movement under the skin, and then an half hour later, would feel the same on my right shoulder, or on my pinky, or in the palm of my hand. The sensations would last for two or three seconds, and then stop. Again, no weakness or loss of feeling. Haven’t had any of these twitches for a few weeks. My friend suggested that I may have BFS, and that the buzzing in my hip/leg/feet may be the cause of the buzzing as well, instead of the minor bulges in my discs.

Is it possible that I have BFS? And could minor bulges in my discs cause the symptoms that I have in my hip/feet/legs, especially given the fact that movement seems to make the symptoms worse?

Sal