Neurology Community
C-5, C-6 Recovery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

C-5, C-6 Recovery

I ruptured my c-5,c-6 back in 2004. I had surgery and removed 10%. I ruptured it again in 2009. I had a c-5,c-6 fusion Dec. 16th. I researched and had anxiety up until being prepped for surgery. My doctor is a Nerosurgeon. He looked at me and explained what he could do for me and I went ahead with it. I never wore a neck brace, I was out of work for 2weeks. I dealt with a lot of pain from the surgery. On Jan. 28th I was released to do what ever I wanted to do without restrictions. I am 45yrs. old, I lift wts, I swim and I play Basketball. I am doing everything I was doing before surgery without the soreness brought on by nerve irritation. I am in my 3rd week of working out and I feel good. I do 2 miles a day, lift wts. and either play basketball or swim. I truly feel that the more active you are before a surgery like this the better you respond. My Dr. is a very good Dr. He reinforced my opinon of him when he looked at me prior to being wheeled in the operating room and said, It is never to late not to have surgery. Hopefully I will continue to do well. Anyone that would like to e-mail me about this feel free.

This discussion is related to Continued pain after anterior cervical fusion.
I have a c4c5 herniation.  I see my NS in March.  What kind of procedure did you have?  
I am anxious about the whole deal.  
Thank you for your question. Most likely your symptoms may arises after some time due to nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of injury/prolapse where contact between the edges of the vertebrae can cause neck pain. In few people, this pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head, shoulders, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) that you felt. Other symptoms are like neck pain and stiffness can be intermittent. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe painkillers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar/stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement. In addition, cervical traction may also be suggested by the doctor, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.

I just had c5/c6 fusion with plate and screw surgery about 5 days ago.  (April 2010).  Originally my problems were on my left side pain under shoulder blade down arm, numbness and weekness in left arm, also pain and burning at the base of the neck PL7 all the time.

After my surgery I find the left arm pain gone.  Now I have:

1. the front of my neck from my right ear at the insision site across to about half way to my left ear from jaw bone to collar bone numb.  There is no feeling there.

2. Horrible pain in my right shoulder joint with in minutes of sitting up or standing.

3. Any movement of my arms or walking more than 5 minutes causes PL 10 across my upper back, at the base of my neck about half way to each shoulder.  Same area as before but pain is much worse.  crippling

The pain is the type that breaks the whole body into a sweat.  No fever just feel like I'm on fire.

I don't have any follow up appointments until week 8 (end of June 2010) with the surgen.  Is this normal?

I take Ralivia and tramacet for the pain.  the combination seams to work at keeping it manageable as long as I don't move or sit up.

any help including knowing I'm not alone would be great.
No, it is not normal. Are you doing any lifting over 10-15 pounds. If so, stop. Call your surgeon and get in right away.