C2 Neck Fracture
Suffered a C2 neck fracture after being dropped on my head while in a hospital emergency room. Fracture showed up on CAT scan but doctor nor hospital treated it. Went untreated for 7 months. When fracture was finally discovered  bone had healed but one side is higher than the other. Was put into a hard collar for several weeks followed by a soft collar for a few more weeks. This was over 2 years ago. Haven't been able to return to work due to chronic pain in neck area, severe headaches, lots of snapping and popping. Muscles in that area of neck are rock hard and very sore. Have been in physical therapy, and seen a massage therapist. No relief.
I can't seem to find anyone to treat me or find any answers on when the pain will go away or what I have to do to get my life back.
I had a similar injury.  I can tell you that you might want to consider having an orthopedist or neurologist do a new MRI scan, to see what all is going on in your back right now.  Could be you've got nerve impingement, or the bones are out of alignment, maybe the spinal canal is compromised, or a disc has burst.  Docs should put you on a physical therapy program, offer pain meds, or possibly suggest surgery to stabilize your neck.  You can also get cortisone shots in the neck to ease pain.  Physical therapy is partly designed to strengthen the neck to protect it from the normal jolts of daily life, and also keep the joints "well-oiled" so they won't seize up.

But your muscles, I can tell you from my own experience, that if they get all knotted up like yours, they are gonna hurt in a deep, profound sort of way.  And the ones in the neck will give you the headaches you have.  The physical therapy the docs should put you on ought to help.  And there are deeper massages available, one is called Swedish massage and the other is called Rolfing, it takes several visits to get them all unwound.  Also could be a chiropractor might can help you somewhat.

One thing you might try that I do, when your neck gets to bothering you, lay on the floor with your legs up in a chair, takes all the weight off your spine, you might hear the joints cracking as you carefully ease your head down to the floor.  But there are days that nothing helps.  It's tough, having a bad back, so I hope you will continue to seek all the help you can get to find some degree of comfort.
my mother suffered a c2 fracture after a bad fall; she has had fusion surgery, wears a brace, actually two different ones, and is suffering intense pain. Am searching for pain coping assistance