C3-4 broad-based bulge; C5-6 protrusion
I lost the feeling in my hand and arm a few days ago and had an MRI done on cervial spine. Results:
C3-4: broad-based disc bulge with a left paracentral disc protrusion. Slight posterior displacement of left descending left C5 nerve root.
C5-6: central disc protrusion effacing the CSF space anterior to cord.
My shoulder pain is what is really frustrating, nevermind I can't really use my left arm/hand at all due to weakness and numbness. This came out of the blue, but I've had on and off neck pain/trapezius spasm, scapula issues for years.
I have an appt to see a neurologist next week. I'm taking 800 mg of Ibuprophen 3x day and Gabapentin 3x/day. How long until I start feeling better and should I continue working out?
Thanks for your help!
Shaunda
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Relief from your symptoms can be got by wearing a cervical collar while working and while traveling. The emphasis here is to not bend your neck. Avoid pillows while sleeping. Initially anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxant drugs will help. And avoid all exercises as this could aggravate your symptoms. You can do brisk walking instead. Once the muscle spasm is relieved, you should feel better.

Therapy for spinal disorders can be conservative (non operative) and surgical (operative) management. Non operative therapies are ultrasound application, spinal traction, transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation and spinal injections. I would still advise you to discuss various options with your doctor and initiate the right therapy for relief from pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.