Neurology Community
CAN MY HIP PAIN BE ASSOCIATED WITH MY MS

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MS THE LATTER PART OF 2004. I HAVE BEEN HAVING HIP PAIN FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS. IT IS GETTING A LOT WORSE AND MY KNEE ALSO HURTS. COULD THIS BE RELATED TO THE MS?
i am having left hip pain which goes down the back of my thigh and leg. went to the doctor and learned that the pain was coming from my lower back.  the muscle runs from the lower back to the buttock muscle which that muscle goes to the hip and that what makes it goes down the leg.  (sciatic nerve pain).  google it and you will find information about it and exercises you can do to help.  hope this helps

MS can cause hip and knee pain due to muscle spasticity and weakness. However it is important to rule out other causes also like arthritis, osteoporosis, osteomalacia and spinal stenosis as they can all present as hip and knee pain.

Please discuss these possibilities with your treating doctor as it is only after a careful clinical exam that a diagnosis can be made with certainty.