Neurology Expert Forum
CAR ACCIDENT-SHOULDER BLADE & NECK PAIN!!!!
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

CAR ACCIDENT-SHOULDER BLADE & NECK PAIN!!!!

I was in a car accident on 2-24-98 hit from the right rear by a car going aprox 45 mph.  Although there was no pain at first, the neck and shoulder pain did onset after a few days.  I was diagnosed with the typical  'cervical sprain'.  After 22 visits to physical therapy I can say that my neck is 75% better, although it still hurts when turned a certain way, my range is excellent however.  Pain sometimes transfers to my right side above my ear.  My main problem now is the pain that developed inmy right shoulder blade...it seems to be getting worse over the last month.  The pain ranges from almost non existent, to an ache in the shoulder blade at times, to a shart shooting pain or a stabbing pain.  It seems to be brought on my mobility in that area or when I stretch that shoulder blade, it hurts when coming out of the stretch.  Sometimes when I bend my head down I can feel a pulling sensation down my back, but not always.  I went to a chiro in lieu of injections in my neck or back but after 2 visits I found it was not for me.  After my 2nd visit my neck hurt too much!  I then went ahead and tried the injections in my shoulder blade...unfortunately to no avail!  I do not know if this pain is related to the accident or could it be something else?  Do I suggest an MRI or just let "time-as they say" do the healing?!  I really don't have the answers and would appreciate any input you could give.  Could this possibly be something with a disk?  The x rays the chiro took (no one took them before) looked good---only a little calcium deposits in my neck!  Is this pain normal for this type of accident?  I also have noticed some numbing on my left hand over the last 3 days (accident and injuries were mainly on the right side).  I notice pins and needles in my left hand when I am holding the phone or when I am typing (such as now)..related or not?
         Thank you for your input!
                  Vicki
=======================================================================
Thanks for the question Vicki of this not uncommon problem. Let me go in reverse order. In terms of the numbness in your left hand, it sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome based on the symptoms you give but an underlying disc problem would need to be ruled out. I'm glad to hear that you have gotten some good relief from PT. Keep doing your stretching. The should blade pain could be related to referred pain from your neck or something intrinsic to the shoulder itself. I think a good neurologic examination would be very helpful to deliniate your problems. An MRI of your cervical spine may be warrented and an EMG (electromyography) test to look for carpal tunnel or disc disease would also be helpful. If you wish a consult at CCF call 216 444 5559. This information is provied for general medical education purposes. PLease consult your doctor regardinbg diagnostic and treatment options.